Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 01/03/2012 :  14:41:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I hope this doesn't create a new movement....

Occupy FWFR
Go to Top of Page

Bavvy 
"Can't talk. Watching movie."

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  10:32:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
LOL, occupy FWFR :-)

"Conservative Crowd Challenges Change"

Benj, thanks for the reply. I hope you are not offended by my remarks. As I said, I love your work and you may consider me a true fwfr addict. You asked for detailed feedback, so I'll try to give some:

- I don't see the added value of the 'now showing' bar and the 'JUST SOME OF THE ALL-TIME TOP REVIEWS / AS FEATURED ON' frame.

- In the reviews, the font size of the reviewers name is larger than the review itself. I think the review is way more important than the reviewers name. Also, I dont see the added value of the ribbon that indicates the rank in top voted this week / ever. I think the points I mention in this bullet are the main reason why I think the site looks more crowded.

Hope this gives you some insight why I am not happy with the changes. I am very glad I'm able to keep using the old site. I'll keep on reviewing ;-D
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/03/2012 :  11:36:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Bavvy

Benj, thanks for the reply. I hope you are not offended by my remarks.

To be honest, it's always going to hurt a bit given how much blood, sweat and tears I've piled into this, but on the flip side I know it's only because you all care about the site so much that you get so passionate about it having changed- it'd be far worse if no-one was really bothered one way or the other.

quote:

- I don't see the added value of the 'now showing' bar and the 'JUST SOME OF THE ALL-TIME TOP REVIEWS / AS FEATURED ON' frame.

It's the general home page so it doesn't have to *add* value, merely draw people in any way it can. The Now Showing bar I thought was pretty cute and gives people a rough idea of some things currently being reviewed that they might want to check out.

The JUST SOME OF... section is essentially a latest stuff/ promotions rotating splash banner as many many sites now feature. (I think this still needs some work to stand apart from the rest of the page a little, but I hope to work on this as we go along) This will change over time with anything we can think of that might be nice to shout about on the home page. For example, until I got distracted trying to sort problems that have arisen, I was going to put an Oscars-related banner in there to direct new visitors to Oscar winner films.

quote:

- In the reviews, the font size of the reviewers name is larger than the review itself. I think the review is way more important than the reviewers name. Also, I don't see the added value of the ribbon that indicates the rank in top voted this week / ever. I think the points I mention in this bullet are the main reason why I think the site looks more crowded.

Will see what I can do about the reviewer name. I was hoping it wouldn't distract from the review itself- hence the lighter font colour and being positioned below the review.

The ribbon has several purposes. Firstly, it gives some variation to the reviews. Without it, you'd just have pages and pages of reviews which all look the same at a glance (granted we still have some pages like that, but I'm working to resolve this).

Secondly, it acts as a ranking on pages where reviews are, well... ranked by the ribbons, e.g. the home page Top Voted reviews. Without this, it's just a random list of reviews in no immediately obvious order.

Finally, it's a quick reference for you and others to see which of your reviews are ranked top for all time, this week, for a film or for yourself. This was actually asked for by some folks here some time ago when I mentioned I was redoing the site.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  07:27:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by Bavvy

Benj, thanks for the reply. I hope you are not offended by my remarks.

To be honest, it's always going to hurt a bit given how much blood, sweat and tears I've piled into this, but on the flip side I know it's only because you all care about the site so much that you get so passionate about it having changed- it'd be far worse if no-one was really bothered one way or the other.

My two-cents worth (some may find this condescending, if so, sorry, but tough)...

The "I hate the new site" position reminds me a lot of the reaction to changes on Facebook (a major change to something-or-other seems to occur every six months or so). People hate whatever is the latest change and want to go back to the previous version. Six months earlier they hated the change to that version and wanted to go back to the version preceding that. Essentially you could sum up their position as something like:-

"The current version is the WORST VERSION EVER. The previous version is the SECOND WORST VERSION. The one before that is the THIRD WORST VERSION. The version before that is the FOURTH WORST VERSION. The best version of all is the one that existed when I FIRST VISITED THE SITE."

although not too many will be prepared to sum it up in that way.

People do not like change (for perfectly understandable reasons, it means deleting information and replacing it with new information). I recall major negativity from some when a major change was made to the MyFWFR page some years back; I don't honestly think there'll be too many users now who think that that old version was better than it's replacement (the version that existed until a week ago).

Once the new version has been debugged you'd probably be doing everyone a favour by deep-sixing the old version, although I guess there's nothing wrong with keeping it alive for those who resist change.

tl;dr:- For some, change sucks, even if it's an improvement.
Go to Top of Page

Please Kill Me Now 
"Need my dopamine fix!"

Canada

Posted - 04/03/2012 :  08:06:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Seán

In this particular instance, it isn't an improvement at all. Quite the opposite. The new site is definitely a change for the worse!

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  02:45:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Please Kill Me Now

quote:
Originally posted by Seán

In this particular instance, it isn't an improvement at all. Quite the opposite. The new site is definitely a change for the worse!

Sorry for my next comment. My snarkyness is usually reserved for someone else on this site. You sound like a bratty child who just discovered a new food (like broccoli). You hate it but will not try it. You wont even eat a small bite to see if you like it. Its odd to you and you wont just have it.

Please just suck it up and try and at least use it...

Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 05/03/2012 :  12:50:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've waited to comment on the new site... but now that I can see all the pages, and I've tested all the functions... I LOVE IT.
Go to Top of Page

Little Old Lady from Dubuque 

Dubuque, Iowa, USA

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  15:13:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for preserving FWFR at http://www.fwxr.com

I'll continue using the old site ... please reconsider your "new" revisions
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/03/2012 :  16:13:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Little Old Lady from Dubuque

Thanks for preserving FWFR at http://www.fwxr.com

I'll continue using the old site ... please reconsider your "new" revisions

Besides Salopian and Bavvy, I've yet to hear any constructive criticism of the new site. And of that it's been almost entirely relating to aesthetic issues (hardly show-stoppers) and completely oblivious to the functional improvements that the new site offers.

Comments such as "it's a pain in the ass" or "it's unusable" are no more use than a jelly ladder. Give me reasons the new site is a step backwards from the old one and then I'll have something on which to base the reconsideration you're hoping for.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  13:18:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It isn't a step backwards, it is just going through some growing pains. Totally natural.

Personally, I like the look of it a great deal. Far more professional looking and sleek. And the new "guess the film" that updates all the time is very cool!

(And when all the kinks are out of the site itself, are you thinking of revamping the Fourum as well?)

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 07/03/2012 13:20:13
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  13:30:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

(And when all the kinks are out of the site itself, are you thinking of revamping the Fourum as well?)

Definitely. It's a rather radical change going from the site to the fourum now, isn't it?
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  14:41:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Definitely. It's a rather radical change going from the site to the fourum now, isn't it?

Yes, sort of like moving between the 20th and 21st Centuries.

Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  15:17:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

When you do can you please delete some people's "post new reply" buttons? thanx

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  15:26:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

quote:

quote:

When you do can you please delete some people's "post new reply" buttons? thanx

And disable the use of continuous bold fonts by any chance?
Go to Top of Page

Please Kill Me Now 
"Need my dopamine fix!"

Canada

Posted - 07/03/2012 :  23:40:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

Sorry for my next comment. My snarkyness is usually reserved for someone else on this site. You sound like a bratty child who just discovered a new food (like broccoli). You hate it but will not try it. You wont even eat a small bite to see if you like it. Its odd to you and you wont just have it.

Please just suck it up and try and at least use it...

You should be sorry for that comment. And what makes you think I haven't tried the new site? I have and I don't like it. Is that so difficult for you to process?

Edited by - Please Kill Me Now on 07/03/2012 23:42:44
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000