Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 4

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/04/2012 :  00:57:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and even if that opinion is "I don't like it because I don't like it" that's perfectly fine with me - what I really don't understand is a lack of willingness I'm reading about in some of the critiques to really explore the new site, click on the buttons, discover the new stuff and play with the functionality to see how it works... although it's admittedly very different it's actually not that difficult. I'm using the old site on my mobile phone because the new site is too graphic heavy to reasonably do things quickly, but every time I look at the old one I'm seeing more and more things that look oddly antiquated and find that I'm preferring the new way for practically everything. Personally I think it's brilliant (and even more brilliant that Benj is so prepared to take all our comments on board so readily), but I think you've got to dive in the deep end and swim around for a while before you decide you don't like the swimming pool after only putting your toes in it.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  12:04:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
^ Zigactly. Play with it and things make sense.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  12:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think most of us who were around since near the beginning and who spend a lot of time on the site regularly are understanding the new site more than those who aren't. I bet you dont understand a video game the first time you play. You need to keep playing and discover new things about it before you start getting good at it.

I originally thought that the new site was too "busy, confusing" but upon further exploration I now find I can ignore some of the "busy" stuff ad work with the stuff that I need to. That "busy" stuff I gather is available for new users. Once they explore then they too can ignore it and explore without noticing it.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  12:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I too miss the rankings on My FWFR but I know now where to look for it. But it would be much simpler if it was on our My FWFR.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  12:36:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting. Which bits are you finding busy?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  16:55:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mind you Benj, I am not complaining. I love the new site. Like I said I can ignore or edit out the "Busy" stuff. But since you asked I am willing to tell you what I and other might view as busy or confusing.

When you first come onto the site you are slapped in the face by the moving headline (As seen in.., and the book ad) New people coming are are just trying to locate the simple items and skills to surf through the site. Then you come down to the "Now Showing" tag line. we already have movies on the left side of the website. Also some of the movies are old in the "Now Showing" tag line.

New people, visitors, and returning Fwiffers are just looking for info. Could the FAQS link be bigger, brighter and near the Join now button? Plus the FAQS as of now are out of date. They dont give you the new info that you need to navigate the new site.

Now when you are ready to get onto your "My FWFR" you click the button and as soon as you get onto your new page you are hit with THE LIST. You scroll down to view the whole list and new people are not aware they can edit their own list or they are to lazy to do it and just navigate only to the places they like to go to.

Another confusing thing is that the name of the list is on the left of the site and the actual list is in the middle which then leaves a whole blank space under the name of the list, unless you Add New Film or Add New Message. Any way the name of the list can be above the list and the "Add" buttons next to the List name?

Lastly I must say all the icons are self explanatory except for one. The My List icon is of the ranking kind (deities and such) but to new people it could be confusing if they are not used to what the icon means.

Thats my say. I dont know if it is helpful but may give some insight..

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 18/04/2012 :  17:28:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

Mind you Benj, I am not complaining. I love the new site. Like I said I can ignore or edit out the "Busy" stuff.

No, it's okay- I didn't think you were complaining but I am interested to hear what people like/ don't like/ get confused by on the new site as it gets me thinking about things I may not have before. There's already been a few things people have said here which have led me to rejigging parts of the site, all for the better I think.

quote:

Then you come down to the "Now Showing" tag line. we already have movies on the left side of the website. Also some of the movies are old in the "Now Showing" tag line.

That's weird- the Now Showing banner gets all its films from those in the UK and US chart which have reviews against them so unless you're talking about re-releases such as Titanic 3D there should be nothing older than a month in there.

quote:

Plus the FAQS as of now are out of date. They dont give you the new info that you need to navigate the new site.

Yes- I'll be rewriting these (might need some help if anyone wants to pitch in, actually) once the site is in a place where no more massive changes look likely.

quote:

Now when you are ready to get onto your "My FWFR" you click the button and as soon as you get onto your new page you are hit with THE LIST. You scroll down to view the whole list and new people are not aware they can edit their own list or they are to lazy to do it and just navigate only to the places they like to go to.

I see there being a quick graphical intro to using the site the first time anyone logs into it. Might be an idea to integrate this into the FAQs also in fact.

quote:

Another confusing thing is that the name of the list is on the left of the site and the actual list is in the middle which then leaves a whole blank space under the name of the list, unless you Add New Film or Add New Message. Any way the name of the list can be above the list and the "Add" buttons next to the List name?

A few people have asked about this. What most here won't know is that I've already played around with lots of different layouts, including using the full width of the content area over the last few years in developing this. Doing so creates a whole lot more interface problems (Where do action buttons go? e.g. Create Accolade, Add Film. Where does the short helper text go?). It also leaves some pages looking very dull- just rows and rows of reviews. I actually think offsetting the content a little makes the page much more interesting. Additionally, some content (such as search results or user ranks) seems far too sparse to justify getting the entire width of the page.

I think in the end, the solution will come down to having some pages using the full width (e.g. myfwfr) and others having side boxes (e.g. the full accolade view page) but I've yet to find something which looks halfway decent.

quote:

Lastly I must say all the icons are self explanatory except for one. The My List icon is of the ranking kind (deities and such) but to new people it could be confusing if they are not used to what the icon means.

I get what you mean but ultimately feel initial confusion over icons isn't such a problem. If someone doesn't know what something does they can always hover over it or click it and they'll soon start making the connection, provided the icon isn't too reminiscent of something completely different on the site.
Go to Top of Page

Beanmimo 
"August review site"

Ireland

Posted - 15/06/2012 :  01:42:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I really enjoyed this thread and have to thank you all.

Firstly well done to PKMN for starting this thread in your own unique way.

To Benj for handling the queries once you finally dragged them out of fwiffers, and Boydegg for pointing out fixable layout issues.

To Larry and Demonic for thoroughly exploring the new site. How much real time did anyone give it?

Good facebook allusion from Sean.

I too was a armchair luddite Rovark.

It has eventually opened up some constructive criticism.

As Benj pointed all websites have to update themselves. I prefer of websites update themselves, it shows an awareness with their surroundings.

A lot of us saw the first years of the internet and were not born into it like the next generation of Fwiffers. We need to pass the mantle to people who are on a different level of technological integration than some of us.

They will work it out.

I was at a party and got talking to a bunch of lads in their twenties. I had their attention for ten minutes reeling off all your fwfr's.

They were in knots of laughter and came up with a few on the spot.

I must try to direct them to us.

Oh and to Salopian because you might be pissed off that I left you out didn't you say something about fonts?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 4 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000