"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 20/03/2014 :  20:56:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Exit closet, enter cask.

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/03/2014 :  23:51:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Rot In Peat (his imagined afterlife not existing).

Are you suggested that he was in the closet, Sean? I really don't think that's the case.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 21/03/2014 :  22:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

Rot In Peat (his imagined afterlife not existing).

Are you suggested that he was in the closet, Sean? I really don't think that's the case.

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. It makes no sense to me at all for someone to devote his entire life to attacking homosexuality and homosexuals unless it was somehow personal. I don't believe at all that he was doing a Ted Haggard (homophobic preacher who was having rendezvous with male prostitutes) or it would be well known. But I'm guessing he perhaps had a 'secret' that he was ashamed of and his way of dealing with it was the venomous church he created. I'd give it 50:50 perhaps.

Edited by - Sean on 21/03/2014 22:15:06
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  10:23:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just think he was an evil fucker. I wonder if anyone actually cares that he's dead?
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  21:08:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Louis Theroux's FB obituary (of sorts) for Phelps. He mentions the "he was gay" speculation, but doesn't think it's likely to be the case. An interesting read.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 28/03/2014 :  03:16:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me. It makes no sense to me at all for someone to devote his entire life to attacking homosexuality and homosexuals unless it was somehow personal. I don't believe at all that he was doing a Ted Haggard (homophobic preacher who was having rendezvous with male prostitutes) or it would be well known. But I'm guessing he perhaps had a 'secret' that he was ashamed of and his way of dealing with it was the venomous church he created. I'd give it 50:50 perhaps.

I think many cases of homophobic diatribe may come from closet cases, but I really don't think that was so with him. Lots of spite from people like that is just spite -- racism is usually just racism, for example, not people hating themselves for secretly being black (though of course there are exceptions even to that). I think your second theory is the more likely one: he had severe issues, for example with his apparently perfectly nice father and sister.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000