Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Please Kill Me Now 
"Need my dopamine fix!"

Canada

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  06:13:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How long is it gonna take before they start getting approved??

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  07:59:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've got 1 pending. They seem to get processed in splurdges.
Go to Top of Page

Please Kill Me Now 
"Need my dopamine fix!"

Canada

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  08:03:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

I've got 1 pending. They seem to get processed in splurdges.

Well, I'm still waiting for Benj (or someone) to splurdge on me.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  11:26:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a large wave of MERP activity about two weeks ago, but since then, I've only gotten either rejections or just one film accepted. I'm sure the MERPs will wake up soon and get moving again.
Go to Top of Page

SoS 
"Englishman in Qatar!"

England

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  11:56:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

There was a large wave of MERP activity about two weeks ago, but since then, I've only gotten either rejections or just one film accepted. I'm sure the MERPs will wake up soon and get moving again.

I really hope so. 43 pending and counting (more pending than I have approved reviews in fact!).

I've stared at some of them for so long I've started to believe they are approved. Could be in for a shock if they get declined.

Have only really started being properly fwfr active in last couple of weeks so am a bit impatient.

Go to Top of Page

zulu 
"Resisting the Bay lobotomy"

UK

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  12:28:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have had a burst of approvals followed by a long trickle of rejections (about 10 in a row). Just one left in the stack now. Need to get busy again.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  12:29:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, I know - it drove me crazy at the beginning when things weren't getting approve OR declined. I was starting to think that I'd never get any reviews approved. But patience is a virtue, and I promise you that your time will come. Just keep adding to your pending pile and eventually, they will come.

(My first review was accepted quite quickly, however - for the '78 King Kong - and when it got voted on I was totally thrilled! That was before I discovered this Fourum and now I've got lots of reviews AND votes.)
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 
"A fourword thinking guy."

United Kingdom

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  13:18:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have "only" 79 pending - until the MERPing a couple of weeks back it was around 200.

However, what I find really annoying is that I still have six reviews pending from September, including 2 first pass reviews. This week they will start to "enjoy" their half-birthdays.

I'd like to know why this incredible delay is necessary.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  13:20:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There's an inherent problem with increased MERP activity- namely increased reviewer activity. Whilst I'm not pointing any fingers here, when reviews are being approved quicker, reviewers tend to submit reviews with wilder abandon.

This is good... to a point.

Sometimes it results in scattershot reviewing (where about 10 variations on each review are submitted in the hope just one will get accepted (I appreciate this is the fallout of what many consider a black box approval process)), but on the whole results in what could be described as slightly less considered reviews being submitted.

Like I say, I'm not trying to point any fingers here, but I just needed to say that the problem here isn't necessarily down to MERPs slacking on review processing- there's a lot more variables involved than this
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  13:31:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

...when reviews are being approved quicker, reviewers tend to submit reviews with wilder abandon.

Guilty, sorry I do tend to work in surges and when the reviews are moving quick it does tend to highten the motivation!

quote:

Sometimes it results in scattershot reviewing (where about 10 variations on each review are submitted in the hope just one will get accepted

I am hanging my head in shame and holding my hand up at the same time I do this to a degree, especially when I am after an accolade and am having difficulty with a particular film.

I will try to control myself, a bit!

By the way I have no complaints for me the site is working quite well the reviews are moving a damm site faster that they used to so that'll do me!

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  14:53:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

There's an inherent problem with increased MERP activity- namely increased reviewer activity. Whilst I'm not pointing any fingers here, when reviews are being approved quicker, reviewers tend to submit reviews with wilder abandon.

This is good... to a point.

Sometimes it results in scattershot reviewing (where about 10 variations on each review are submitted in the hope just one will get accepted (I appreciate this is the fallout of what many consider a black box approval process)), but on the whole results in what could be described as slightly less considered reviews being submitted.

Like I say, I'm not trying to point any fingers here, but I just needed to say that the problem here isn't necessarily down to MERPs slacking on review processing- there's a lot more variables involved than this

Benj

As I've said before, the problem is systemic, not personal.

As there are more reviews than editing time, either get less reviews or more editing time, or both.

There are plenty of ways of doing this. One example, if some people are submitting a lot of reviews for one film then why not place a limit on the number of reviews a member can write for a given film in a given period? If they think up a really good one but have reached the limit they can always delete off a pending one to make space. Or they can make a note if it and wait until their "allocation" is no longer full.

It might also be an idea to place a daily total per member limit to submissions, which, provided it was generous, would encourage some self-editing amongst more prolific members thereby speeding up approvals.

Aside from this, I would still like to know why it should take six months. I get the impression (which may be wrong) that when you do your editing, you start with the more recent at the top of the pile and work for a while and then stop when you can't take it any more , which is the only way I can explain why first pass reviews from September are still pending. Wouldn't it be reasonable to try to clear the oldest ones sometimes? What estimate can you give for when my first pass reviews from September will receive a moment's attention?

Put simply, is it reasonable that I have first pass reviews from September still pending?

Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  21:07:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper
Put simply, is it reasonable that I have first pass reviews from September still pending?

I think that what we have to remember is that this site is run by 1 person who receives limited help from volunteers. Although it may not always move as fast as people like it is a free site and the emphasis (for me at least) is on having fun!

If you think this is too slow then ask people what it was like before MERPs and understand that the adminstrator and his volunteers are doing their best.

I'm not looking for a battle or a fight but I do get annoyed when undue flack is given when people are doing their best giving up their time and effort and recieveing nothing for it.

Smile and just write some more reviews (adding to the backlog) and enjoy the site!

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

Whippersnapper. 

United Kingdom

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  21:59:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh the cat

quote:
Originally posted by Whippersnapper

I think that what we have to remember is that this site is run by 1 person who receives limited help from volunteers. Although it may not always move as fast as people like it is a free site and the emphasis (for me at least) is on having fun!

If you think this is too slow then ask people what it was like before MERPs and understand that the adminstrator and his volunteers are doing their best.

I'm not looking for a battle or a fight but I do get annoyed when undue flack is given when people are doing their best giving up their time and effort and recieveing nothing for it.

Smile and just write some more reviews (adding to the backlog) and enjoy the site!

Josh the cat

Josh

Please read the first paragraph of my post and try to understand it in that context. Your assertion that there is undue flack against individuals is, as far as I am concerned, an absolutely misguided interpretation of what I have written. It bears no relation whatsoever either to my intention or to my re-reading of my post.

This is not about personalities or individuals, its about a system which has what can be seen as a problem and how that problem could be addressed.

On the other hand, if you think that having a number of reviews pending for six months should not be seen as a problem, please feel free to argue that position. Perhaps you can change my mind. I'm notoriously reasonable. - there's that smile you asked for.
Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  22:41:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You will hear me complain when my pending pile gets so damn close to Oracle Status as it was before Merps came along.
Also, all the reviews took 6 months to be processed.
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

UK

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  22:41:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

I've only got about 50 pending, but some of these date back to last September or so.

Hey ho

If they all got prossessed (and hopefully accepted), I'd only feel compelled to have a splurge on writing new ones, and as Benj says these might not be up to my usual (ahem) considered standards
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 13/03/2006 :  22:57:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Whippy, ya shoulda been around when only one guy was judging reviews. foxy is not exaggerating: one's entire pending pile waited at least six months. Then poor benj was finally put out of his misery [this is supposed to be fun for him, but his own success had turned it into misery] by enlisting helpers.

We old-timers feel your pain, but like all old-timers do, we say: ya whippersnapper, it was lots worse way back when!

Edited by - randall on 13/03/2006 23:01:51
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000