Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 07/12/2006 :  16:22:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y'know...I've realized that this is a gag Mel Brooks likes to use in a lot of his films, so we might have to consider them all one by one...in addition to Blazing Saddles and Spaceballs, there's also the very end of High Anxiety when the camera is slowly retreating and you can hear two camera operators talking to each other about how to do the shot until they "accidentally" hit the actual "fourth wall" and crash right through it. ("What do we do now?" "Just keep going back, maybe nobody will notice.")

History of the World, Part I also has the part at the end where even though we're still in the French Revolution segment, a character from an earlier segment (Rome) comes to the rescue and when asked how he showed up all the way from the Roman Empire, he says, "movies is magic!"

Even Igor shares several knowing glances with the audience in Young Frankenstein, but you said you might not include simply "breaking the fourth wall." That's all I can think of, but I wouldn't be surprised if there's more examples from Brooks's films.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 08/12/2006 :  23:26:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Have just seen The Holiday which contains a fleeting scene at a DVD store in which Jack Black [who plays a film composer] is quite comically singing the theme songs of some films to Kate Winslett. One of the DVDs is The Graduate and as Black sings Simon and Garfunkle we pan over to another customer who turns and we see it's actually Dustin Hoffman.

That may not be quite what you had in mind, Sal, but just for a tiny moment the film jumps out of itself as it references another [classic] film, though no one actually addresses the camera.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  10:01:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I sent Sal a PM with another one. In Shall We Dance? there are some voice overs while Gere is on the L train and he's obviously adressing the audience. This also may not be what he wants.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  22:57:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Have just seen The Holiday which contains a fleeting scene at a DVD store in which Jack Black [who plays a film composer] is quite comically singing the theme songs of some films to Kate Winslett. One of the DVDs is The Graduate and as Black sings Simon and Garfunkle we pan over to another customer who turns and we see it's actually Dustin Hoffman.

That may not be quite what you had in mind, Sal, but just for a tiny moment the film jumps out of itself as it references another [classic] film, though no one actually addresses the camera.

Saw it today too. Thanks, but no it doesn't count. It was just a cameo as himself.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 09/12/2006 :  23:00:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I sent Sal a PM with another one. In Shall We Dance? there are some voice overs while Gere is on the L train and he's obviously adressing the audience. This also may not be what he wants.

It would only count if it could not be his thoughts or talking to someone at a later date; I've seen it and don't remember, although I would think I would be more likely to remember is it couldn't be those things. I haven't read my e-mail yet; if I come to an Internet cafe at the weekend, I usually prioritise coming on here.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/12/2006 :  01:13:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thanks for all the responses to my fourth-wall query. I haven't updated it yet, but will be adding films pretty liberally for now; it can always be pruned down later.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/12/2006 :  01:16:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benj, I've got a couple of accolades that cannot auto-update as I would like. This is because it seems that it cannot add any films featuring certain artists OR words. If one fills in both fields, it will only add films featuring one of the artists AND one of the words. Could this be addressed at all?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 30/12/2006 :  04:59:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When I was at the cinema the other day, I decided to start a Hamlet accolade - of films which quote it, not which are adaptations. Which current or very recent (in Britain) film quotes it? Is it Deja Vu? Any other suggestions too, please - the obvious one is Withnail and I, but I'm sure there will be others.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  15:14:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sure "to be or not to be" has been repeated many times. You could even it limit it to just that and you'd still have a lot of films.

Anyway, how recent is recent? Star Treks IV and VI both quote Hamlet in the movie. In fact, the full title for ST:VI is "Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country."

But ST:IV is 20 years old. Aye, there's the rub.

Edited by - Downtown on 02/01/2007 17:07:11
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 02/01/2007 :  17:13:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I intend to exclude just "to be or not to be", but not until I have enough other ones. By current or very recent, I mean a film that would have been on at the cinema the other day.

Edited by - SixFourian on 02/01/2007 17:15:20
Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 03/01/2007 :  07:26:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Better Off Dead - another Cusack flick where he regularly updates the audience.
Go to Top of Page

damalc 
"last watched: Sausage Party"

Posted - 19/01/2007 :  18:15:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
i've got a couple.
"Funny Games," and "Othello."
"Funny Games" is a really mean film that makes a viewer a participant. and in "Othello" (pick a version) Iago speaks to the audience a few time.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 19/01/2007 :  19:59:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

When I was at the cinema the other day, I decided to start a Hamlet accolade - of films which quote it, not which are adaptations. Which current or very recent (in Britain) film quotes it? Is it Deja Vu? Any other suggestions too, please - the obvious one is Withnail and I, but I'm sure there will be others.

Hepburn recites most of the To be... soliloquy, while plastered, in Morning Glory. In fact I have had an apropos review pending on this one for almost three weeks.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 20/01/2007 :  12:09:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I have got a rudimentary accolade here and would like as many films for it as possible. If there are enough, I'll get rid of the fourth-wall ones, which are a separate category really. I think Blazing Saddles applies, but I haven't really seen it. What about Monty Pythin and the Holy Grail? Are those police supposed to have stumbled on the filming, or is the time in history supposed to have changed suddenly(/been modern all along)?

Two Can Play That Game: Roger Ebert reliably informs me that:
"Vivica A. Fox stars in the film as Shante Smith, its heroine and narrator, who speaks directly to the audience as she talks us through the book of love. "

Go to Top of Page

thefoxboy 
"Four your eyes only."

Eastern Suburbs, Melbourne, Australia

Posted - 04/04/2007 :  03:23:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thanks for all the responses to my fourth-wall query. I haven't updated it yet, but will be adding films pretty liberally for now; it can always be pruned down later.

"Chopper" could be added to this accolade.

Edited by - thefoxboy on 04/04/2007 03:23:49
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000