Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  04:14:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

Christopher Reeve reported the following anecdote in his autobiography. The idealistic young actor Reeve asked the seasoned veteran Hackman what his 'motivation' was in playing the role of Luthor. Hackman responded, "You mean, besides the million dollars?"

And is this one apocryphal or not?:

Dustin Hoffman shows up on the MARATHON MAN set looking like death warmed over. Olivier asks, "What's wrong?" Hoffman: "I stayed up all night so I would look like hell for this next scene." Oliver: "Dear boy, next time, why don't you try acting?"
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  05:03:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ben Affleck, Uma Thurman, and Paul Giamatti all took paycheck roles in the movie Paycheck.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  08:08:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Dustin Hoffman shows up on the MARATHON MAN set looking like death warmed over. Olivier asks, "What's wrong?" Hoffman: "I stayed up all night so I would look like hell for this next scene." Oliver: "Dear boy, next time, why don't you try acting?"

Who's Oliver!!!!

Hey, that story's been around a loooooong time! I doubt it's true, though, according to my pals who knew/worked with "Mr Sir" [as Marilyn was said to call him]. First of all, he was super polite to people [though he did relish being sarcastic behind their backs]; and he didn't address colleagues as 'dear boy.' He called them 'baby.'

It was rumored at the time that he was getting fed up with Hoffman's insistence on doing so many takes, and there's one scene - if I recall correctly - where DH comes in from running and he insisted on REALLY running which was taking even more time [and Mr Sir's own health wasn't that great so he was getting very tired], and he said something which was later transmuted into Randall's quote.

But hey! I wasn't there and you wasn't there and none of us wasn't there either!

Here's a story in his defense, told to me by the other actor in question: Unlike films, in the theater actors do their own make-up. During the Broadway production of Beckett one of the spear-carriers was in awe of the great man and plucked up enough courage to speak to him. As his opening gambit he said that he admired Olivier's make-up and asked how he did it. Olivier was flattered and took the time to demonstrate various techniques to the young actor. When he was finished he said, "Now. Tell me how you do yours."

And, back on topic:
Didn't Mr Sir do a series of ads for Polaroid on US tv on condition they'd never be shown in the UK?

Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 05/02/2007 :  13:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe
And, back on topic:
Didn't Mr Sir do a series of ads for Polaroid on US tv on condition they'd never be shown in the UK?

From the Boston Globe's 14 Nov 2006 obituary of Peter Wensberg, who was head of marketing for Polaroid in the 1970s:

In the early 1970s, when Polaroid Corp. introduced its signature SX-70, a camera that produced an instant color photograph, Peter C. Wensberg headed the team that went to Europe to oversee the making of commercials.

As Polaroid's chief marketing executive, Mr. Wensberg was the perfect messenger to convince Sir Laurence Olivier that he had made the right choice to help sell the cameras on television. There were two stipulations, however, according to Sam Yanes, of Beacon, N.Y., who worked at Polaroid in Cambridge with Mr. Wensberg. "One, that the commercial be filmed in Paris, and the other that it never be shown in England," Yanes said yesterday .

Edited by - w22dheartlivie on 05/02/2007 13:29:47
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  16:53:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Christopher Reeve reported the following anecdote in his autobiography. The idealistic young actor Reeve asked the seasoned veteran Hackman what his 'motivation' was in playing the role of Luthor. Hackman responded, "You mean, besides the million dollars?"

Check out Robert Evans' The Kid Stays In The Picture for a reporting of this incident...

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  17:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

Check out Robert Evans' The Kid Stays In The Picture for a reporting of this incident...

Oh, yeah, Evans, that great proponent of the truth
He's one of those people said to be implicated by the phrase:
Hello, he lied.

Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  18:47:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There are some people in this world that if they told you, "tomorrow, the sun will rise in the East," you'd still have to see it with your own eyes before you'd believe them.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  19:22:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

There are some people in this world that if they told you, "tomorrow, the sun will rise in the East," you'd still have to see it with your own eyes before you'd believe them.

... it rises in the EAST?!!!!
No way, dude.

PS: Here's a Bob Evans tale told by Joe Esterhas

"If you want people to think that you're important, have yourself paged by friends at the Polo Lounge or at the pool of the Beverly Hills Hotel. The producer Robert Evans once took a phone call from director Roman Polanski while being interviewed for ABC's 20/20. An ABC staffer picked an extension up and found Evans speaking to dead air. Bob had faked the call from Roman. "

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 06/02/2007 19:37:25
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  22:15:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

No way, dude.

"If you want people to think that you're important, have yourself paged by friends at the Polo Lounge or at the pool of the Beverly Hills Hotel. The producer Robert Evans once took a phone call from director Roman Polanski while being interviewed for ABC's 20/20. An ABC staffer picked an extension up and found Evans speaking to dead air. Bob had faked the call from Roman. "

Joe Esterhas speaking about Robert Evans is akin to Pol Pot slagging off Mao

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 06/02/2007 :  22:44:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

quote:

No way, dude.

Joe Esterhas speaking about Robert Evans is akin to Pol Pot slagging off Mao

Exactly! I think you're making my point RFluff!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000