Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Joe Blevins 
"Don't I look handsome?"

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  02:26:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This article makes an interesting point:
http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/04/movies/04waxm.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

I'm one of those film geeks who follow the careers of certain directors and wait for them to come out with new movies -- both veteran directors and younger directors. In that respect, 2006 was a pretty good movie-going year for me, mostly because of the vets. Many of my favorite veteran directors --Martin Scorsese, Chris Guest, David Lynch, and Brian DePalma -- had new movies out in 2006, and only DePalma really let me down hard. Even Mike Judge continued his winning streak, quality-wise if not commercially. (In my book, Judge is 3 for 3 as a feature film director.) I really liked Terry Zwigoff's three previous films, so I was a little bit disappointed by Art School Confidential, which for me was the first of his feature films to be merely good and not great. Of course, a perfect movie year would have included new ones from both John Waters and the Coen Brothers, but you can't have everything. (The Coens' next one looks promising, and Waters is sorta between movies right now.)

On the other hand, I wish there'd been new movies from my favorite younger directors: P.T. Anderson, Wes Anderson, Spike Jonze, Alex Payne, maybe David Fincher (though I wasn't a fan of his last one). I have mixed feelings about Tarantino's next project, Grindhouse. Of course, I'll see it on opening day. On the other hand, it seems to be a return to the vanity-driven side projects QT did between Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

So I guess my questions for FWFR are these:
* Do you follow the careers of certain directors?
* If so, do you want them to be more productive? More selective? Stay the same?

Thanks.

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  03:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Good topic. There are some directors whose movies I will always watch regardless of plot, cast, reviews etc:-

Tarantino
Peter Jackson
Coen Bros
Hideo Nakata
David Lynch
Cronenberg
Peter Greenaway
Hayao Miyazaki
Isao Takahata
Takashi Shimizu (excluding the US Grudge remake(s))
Martin Scorsese
Takashi Miike
Kevin Smith (although he hit a dud with Clerks 2)

and a few others whose careers are over that I'd also always watch:-

Hitchcock
Akira Kurosawa
Sergio Leone

I can't say I keep a watch on director's careers though (i.e., I have no idea what projects any of the above are working on apart from Jackson's Dambusters), but when I see that one of them has a new movie out (or an old one I haven't yet seen) then it goes on my netlflix list.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  05:50:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I actually have a list of directors that I try to follow that is 56 names long! Many of them are either dead or no longer working. I won't bore everyone with all 56 names, but the main guys I follow are ...

Deceased
Charlie Chaplin
Alfred Hitchcock
Stanley Kubrick
Orson Welles
I've also recently gotten into David Lean and Michael Curtiz, but I haven't seen enough of their work for me to say I've been following their career.

"Film school brat" generation
Francis Ford Coppola
George Lucas
Steven Spielberg
Robert Zemeckis

The next generation
Peter Jackson
Christopher Nolan
Alex Proyas

Animation (current)
John Lasseter
Hayao Miyazaki
Nick Park
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 07/02/2007 :  08:01:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If there's a movie by Tim Burton, or Nick Park, I'll probably make an effort to see it. Ridley Scott is inconsistant and I think he's better as a producer. I'm getting a bit bored of Spielberg's schtick. And I'm hoping that Sofia Coppola can make a comeback after Marie Antoinette. But on the whole, I don't really look for a specific director (or producer - except if its the Coen brothers or back when Merchant Ivory were churning out things like Surviving Picasso and A Room with a View), I go more for story, genre and then after that, actors.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000