Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  05:33:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hey demonic, good to see another Londoner up at this time of the night? the city that never sleeps baby.

Amazingly I've just had a review for this little challenge approved within an hour. So a big thank you to the MERP who was lurking around the V for Vendetta page.

Edit: And that review has taken me into the top 200 for the first time. if I carry on at this rate it's only going to take me another 11 years to get to 1000 reviews

Edited by - BiggerBoat on 29/03/2007 05:48:05
Go to Top of Page

Mr Savoir Faire 
"^ Click my name. "

ATL, Georgia (USA)

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  05:49:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Stupid

Technically the review for Jaws 4 is incorrect since there is a Jaws 5, which is why I never voted for it.

You don't seriously mean "Cruel Jaws" do you?

I had to look this up, as I had forgotten the subtittle and I've never heard it called this. About 5 months ago, I had the pleasure of attending/organizing a Jaws marathon, but we were only able to gather one through four.
I admit it's been about ten years since I've seen it, and it was on my friend's LaserDisk player, immediatley after watching Jaws on LaserDisk. I don't remember much, except for it ripped off many other Jaws movies (some of which I hadn't seen at the time) and had pictures of a great white attacking even though a tiger shark was supposively attacking. I also remember one scene in which the shark jumps totally out of the water lands upright on a dock and while balancing on it's back fin, roars. i always assumed that it had the rights to the Jaws movies since it used the name "Jaws 5" and had stock footage, and was therefore was in the series, but I now see that this is not the case; it is just a rip-off.
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  06:18:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Nope, the problem is that you've sorted them by votes. So as soon as someone voted on them they disappear out of the list of five (as they have more votes). The first link definitely does not have your review in it, and never will have again unless you sort by something other than votes. E.g., reviewer name or chronologically etc. The second one still contains your review but it will disappear as soon as it gets one more vote.

Actually, the real problem is I didn't specify a sorting method. My default is Reviewer Rank, and with those it works. Here are the fixed links:

One which additionally consists of only monosyllables

A triple alliteration
Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  06:34:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Chris C

Tracking Down Maggie: The Unofficial Biography Of Margaret Thatcher. All three words the same (quadruple alliteration!).

Very nice.

I'd say it fits my challenge, though the ideal quadruple alliteration would involve four words, at least some of them different. Not sure if we'll ever see that, but demonic's Das Boot review points out the most likely strategy: use a prefix. Scratch that - I've just submitted a quintuple alliteration (all different words). We'll see if it's accepted.

Here's another idea for a proper challenge. Become the first reviewer to have an alliterative review for every letter of the alphabet - except for X and Z, I don't think you could come up with much for either of those letters. I'd suggest the following parameters:

Every word/name in the review must start with the same letter.

The review must contain four words.

Of course it may be that someone's already got it, or some will find it prohibitively hard to comb their reviews in search of alliterations they've already done, but I think it's a nifty challenge. If people like it, I can figure out where I stand tomorrow.

Edited by - MM0rkeleb on 29/03/2007 06:53:09
Go to Top of Page

turrell 
"Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh Ohhhh "

Little Rock

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  06:48:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?start=752&id=2882&Mode=reviewer&Sort=4&Rows=1&Dir=2&do=

Stoned: "Chachi Channels Cheech, Chong."

Edited by - turrell on 29/03/2007 06:50:17
Go to Top of Page

tortoise 
"Still reviewing, but slowly."

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  12:59:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
One of my favourite review formats is what you might call 'alliterative pairs' - an AA BB form, if you see what I mean.

W & G
W & G again
10 days

I'm also fond of two-word alliterative reviews:

Chocolate Charlie
Four of these dog corpses

And here's a bunch of four-word alliterations:

Scrat
That
He's Back
No Hack
Sea
Fish
Ancient Greek
80s Geek
Force
Brute force
Police force

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  16:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BiggerBoat

Hey demonic, good to see another Londoner up at this time of the night? the city that never sleeps baby.

That would make us the Fwiffers who never sleep. How else to explain those high vote averages?

quote:
Edit: And that review has taken me into the top 200 for the first time. if I carry on at this rate it's only going to take me another 11 years to get to 1000 reviews

Congratulations for that - and here's to the next 11 years.

quote:
Originally posted by Mr Stupid
I had to look this up, as I had forgotten the subtittle and I've never heard it called this. About 5 months ago, I had the pleasure of attending/organizing a Jaws marathon, but we were only able to gather one through four.
I admit it's been about ten years since I've seen it, and it was on my friend's LaserDisk player, immediatley after watching Jaws on LaserDisk. I don't remember much, except for it ripped off many other Jaws movies (some of which I hadn't seen at the time) and had pictures of a great white attacking even though a tiger shark was supposively attacking. I also remember one scene in which the shark jumps totally out of the water lands upright on a dock and while balancing on it's back fin, roars. i always assumed that it had the rights to the Jaws movies since it used the name "Jaws 5" and had stock footage, and was therefore was in the series, but I now see that this is not the case; it is just a rip-off.

I'm slightly jealous that you've seen it. It sounds so shameless and so dreadful it has to be an all time classic of bad filmmaking. It still baffles me how they got away with literally cutting bits of the other four Jaws films (amongst others) into their film without getting taken to court. Amusingly on the IMDB listing Peter Benchley even gets a writing credit... perhaps that's for the classic "We're going to need a bigger...helicopter."
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  17:06:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Since I'm not really writing any more, I'll have to post some of my oldies but, hopefully, goodies. Sorry for the volume - I can never pick favorites among my babies.

Ace Ventura: Pet Detective (1994) - Miami missing Marino, mammal.

Deliverance (1972) - Beatty becomes bumpkin's Babe.

Hunchback Of Notre Dame, The (1939) - Dame's deformed donger displayed.

I, Robot (2004) - Veni, vidi, vici V.I.K.I.

In Good Company (2004) - Prodigy pops Pop's progeny.

Nude Prisoners (1994) - Bare behinds behind bars.

Ocean's Twelve (2004) - Hipster heisters hoist house.

Staying Alive (1983) - Barbarino becomes ballerino.

Swimming Pool (2003) - Frenchy frequently flaunts floaties.

That Thing You Do! (1996) - Hanks hawks hunks' hooks.

Tremors (1990) - Annelids annihilated. Anglers angered.

Go to Top of Page

MM0rkeleb 
"Better than HBO."

Palo Alto, CA

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  17:35:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

WOW! This one deserves at least 10 times as many votes as it has now.
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  18:12:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=541 The Game
Penn's present's pretty petrifying

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=4018 The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Literary legends literally lame.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=611 Groundhog Day
Andie again and again

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=4401 Midsummer Night's Dream
Fine fairies flit fancily.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=4306 The Toxic Avenger
Toxins turn teen tough.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=707 Panic Room
Dungeoned diabetic daughter dehydrates.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=1173 Splash
Mythical mermaid meets Manhattan.

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=1058 Aladdin
Shabby Sheik

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?id=389 Apollo 13
Harris handles Houston

I didn't include ones that sucked (in my opinion) or that had a word misspelled so that it could be alliteration (I had quite a few of those). I also went maybe three or four pages into my reviews. :)

Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  19:40:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I did a lot of Andy Warhol pictures - pictures by Warhol, pictures about Warhol, etc - that use alliteration. Many of them are variations on the same alliterative phrase, which I admit I've pretty much driven into the ground by now...but I don't care, I like 'em anyway:

All about artist Andy

Andy's art about Andy

Andy's art disses DC

Andy's artistic fuck fest

Many mouthfuls of mushroom

Andy's art about ass

Edited by - Downtown on 29/03/2007 19:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  19:54:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And a selection of non-Andy Warhol-related alliterative reviews:

Fares fair fairly. Fair. (I'm particularly proud of this one because not only is it alliterative, but I managed to summarize the plot in three words, with one word left over for an actual review of the quality of the film itself)

Willis wars techno terrorists

Ferrell's foolish redneck raunchiness

Blond Bond wants White

Craig chronicles Bond's beginning

Foley foils phonetic felonies

McConaughey marks Marshall's massacre

Housepets' harrowing hike home

Hercules, Hera, Hydra, Harryhausen!

Should I keep going? Like I said, I have a lot of alliterative reviews...

Edited by - Downtown on 29/03/2007 19:57:33
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  20:26:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm confused. I was under the impression that they all had to start with the same letter. If not, I have probably hundreds.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  20:55:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Even just the first two words starting with the same letter is enough for it to be considered alliteration, although I'm not sure if the stardards were set higher for this thread. You'll note, however, that where I chose reviews where only the first two words start with the same letter, the ones I selected actually have two alliterative pairs: the first two words share the starting letter, and the last two words share their starting letters, for example Blond Bond wants White. I call that a double alliteration, although I'm sure there's some "official" name for that. I have plenty of other reviews where the first two words are alliterative and the last two aren't, but I don't consider those alliterations "good enough" for this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 29/03/2007 :  21:39:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by M0rkeleb

quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

WOW! This one deserves at least 10 times as many votes as it has now.

Well, thanks for giving it at least one, Mor.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000