The Four Word Film Review Fourum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

Return to my fwfr
Frequently Asked Questions Click for advanced search
 All Forums
 FWFR Related
 Site Features
 Accolade discussion and suggestions!
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  12:10:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here is a thread for the discussion of accolades and giving suggestions for other peoples accolades, fi they want them.

If you have posted in the FWFRers accolade collections thread with a post that is not an accolade list could you please delete your posts, thanks!

Josh the cat

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  13:36:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh_the_cat

Here is a thread for the discussion of accolades and giving suggestions for other peoples accolades, fi they want them.

If you have posted in the FWFRers accolade collections thread with a post that is not an accolade list could you please delete your posts, thanks!

Josh the cat



Lovely, Josh ... thank you!

And, just to confirm, I've deleted all posts, well, one actually, which aren't accolade listings.



Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  13:42:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cheers Baffy
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  14:30:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I like accolades.

Just making sure you didn't create this thread for nothing, Josh. Now there's some legitimate accolade discussion here.
Go to Top of Page

Rovark 
"Luck-pushing, rule-bending, chance-taking reviewer"

UK

Posted - 30/03/2007 :  18:07:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Also confirming I've deleted all my posts from the Collections thread, which is gonna leave a couple of replies just hanging but hey ho.

I'm currently working over a number of my open ended word-in-the-title accolades so they're less all inclusive and hopefully both slightly more valid and attainable. Also actually worth attaining, as they won't be ripped away the very next day with the addition of half a dozen new films.

Body Of Work is now down from 458 films to just under 300. Once Ive been through and edited all where needed, I'll update my Accolade Collections posts.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 31/03/2007 :  22:18:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I will try to go back and delete my messages as you wish, but be fair: this self-directed accolade popcorn frenzy seems to me to be steering fwfr in the opposite direction... Just one member's opinion...
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 01/04/2007 :  00:01:01  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

Sorry, I will try to go back and delete my messages as you wish, but be fair: this self-directed accolade popcorn frenzy seems to me to be steering fwfr in the opposite direction... Just one member's opinion...



Not sure I understand this if you wanna pm me or explain then I'm all ears.

I am starting to agree with Rovark and others about open ended accolades and I may start to reduce the accolades that react to a word in the title.

I am working on populating my oscars accolades and easter holidays may help me do a whole load of them but to complete the whole lot may take a while!


Thanks to Conan, Demonic and the Lady of Chocolate for deleting their posts in the fwfrer accolade collection thread.

Josh the cat

Edited by - Josh the cat on 01/04/2007 09:27:22
Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 02/04/2007 :  13:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Josh_the_cat

Thanks to Conan, Demonic and the Lady of Chocolate for deleting their posts in the fwfrer accolade collection thread.

Um, I had as well, before you wrote that. I've only left one temporarily, as it answers points in another that is still there.

Edited by - Salopian on 02/04/2007 13:39:06
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:28:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had an idea for an accolade which would include all the remakes that are as good as, or better than the originals. However, I can only come up with:

The Italian Job
Freaky Friday
The Thomas Crowne Affair

Anyone have any other ideas?

Go to Top of Page

Salopian 
"Four ever European"

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  11:59:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

The Italian Job
???!!!

I have never seen the first Ocean's Eleven, but I certainly like the second one.

Edited by - Salopian on 03/04/2007 11:59:40
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  12:43:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I had an idea for an accolade which would include all the remakes that are as good as, or better than the originals. However, I can only come up with:

The Italian Job
Freaky Friday
The Thomas Crowne Affair

Anyone have any other ideas?





It's been done
Go to Top of Page

tortoise 
"Still reviewing, but slowly."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  13:00:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

The Italian Job
???!!!


Sorry Sal, gotta agree with Choco here. Upon watching the two of them back-to-back on DVD I realised that, fond as I still am of the original, it now feels terribly dated.

quote:

I have never seen the first Ocean's Eleven, but I certainly like the second one.



Likewise, on both counts.
Go to Top of Page

Ali 
"Those aren't pillows."

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  14:18:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

The Italian Job is another in the long list of films whose first half or so is flat-out awesome, but craters when the big __________ (fill in the Plot point) really gets rolling. The Dean of this illustrious film college is, of course, the original Sinatra Ocean's Eleven.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  18:15:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I had an idea for an accolade which would include all the remakes that are as good as, or better than the originals. However, I can only come up with:

The Italian Job
Freaky Friday
The Thomas Crowne Affair

Anyone have any other ideas?





It's been done



Ah... I see. Okay. So, would you be willing to add Freaky Friday and The Thomas Crown Affair to your accolade? I know, adding Freaky Friday might be just me - I saw the original and thought it was cute. I wasn't sure that a remake would work, but it does - and very nicely, actually. Just as cute, if not a touch more cute. Up to you on that one.

But I really should insist on Thomas Crown because, as much as Steve McQueen did a good job in the original, the basic idea of the movie stinks. Why the hell would a rich man steal money for thrills? We never questioned this until Brosnan updated it and had the rich guy steal paintings which he actually RETURNS. That makes much more sense - it is the thrill of the theft doubled by the thrill of returning the painting and still not getting caught that drives the guy. Gives the whole film a much more real feel to it.

(Anyway, both my husband and my lesbian friends agree that Renee Russo is totally hot in the remake, while Faye Dunnaway was blah in the original, but did a good job in the remake.)

((Oh, and Brosnan looks so hotter better dressed up than Steve ever did. Steve was pretty hot in lots of films, but hottest when he was sweaty and dirty.))
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  19:03:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

I had an idea for an accolade which would include all the remakes that are as good as, or better than the originals. However, I can only come up with:

The Italian Job
Freaky Friday
The Thomas Crowne Affair

Anyone have any other ideas?





It's been done



Ah... I see. Okay. So, would you be willing to add Freaky Friday and The Thomas Crown Affair to your accolade? I know, adding Freaky Friday might be just me - I saw the original and thought it was cute. I wasn't sure that a remake would work, but it does - and very nicely, actually. Just as cute, if not a touch more cute. Up to you on that one.

But I really should insist on Thomas Crown because, as much as Steve McQueen did a good job in the original, the basic idea of the movie stinks. Why the hell would a rich man steal money for thrills? We never questioned this until Brosnan updated it and had the rich guy steal paintings which he actually RETURNS. That makes much more sense - it is the thrill of the theft doubled by the thrill of returning the painting and still not getting caught that drives the guy. Gives the whole film a much more real feel to it.

(Anyway, both my husband and my lesbian friends agree that Renee Russo is totally hot in the remake, while Faye Dunnaway was blah in the original, but did a good job in the remake.)

((Oh, and Brosnan looks so hotter better dressed up than Steve ever did. Steve was pretty hot in lots of films, but hottest when he was sweaty and dirty.))




Since you feel so strongly about it, I'll add The Thomas Crown Affair. You don't make a strong enough argument for Freaky Friday, so it's going to take a little more support from other FWFRers.

By the way, I never saw the original TTCA, but rich people stealing stuff is not a unique concept in films, and often the reason given - either stated or implied - is that it's "for the thrill of it."
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 03/04/2007 :  22:26:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

quote:
Originally posted by Josh_the_cat

Thanks to Conan, Demonic and the Lady of Chocolate for deleting their posts in the fwfrer accolade collection thread.

Um, I had as well, before you wrote that. I've only left one temporarily, as it answers points in another that is still there.



I was gonna say thanks when you had deleted the last one, I am greatful and do appreciate yours and everyones assistance with this.

Randall pm'd to say he will get around to it I'm hoping that others will follow in the same way.

Cheers Sal

Cheers everyone

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2016 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000