Originally posted by rockfsh

Peter Boyle; Young Frankenstein

CORRECT!

Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 01/08/2007 :  15:53:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What do The Power of Love, Bwana Devil and Comin at Ya have in common besides the propensity to give one a headache and being awful films? I saw the last one.

Edited by - rockfsh on 01/08/2007 16:48:07
Go to Top of Page

redPen 
"Because I said so!"

United States

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  03:01:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What are three films I've never seen?
Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  04:11:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by redPen

What are three films I've never seen?

Maybe, but how would I know?
I submitted a fwfr for Comin at Ya ""sight for sore eyes"
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  07:07:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm guessing they're all in 3-D, Bwana Devil being the first American 3-D movie shot in color. It's the only one I've actually seen, though. Nice lions!

Go to Top of Page

rockfsh 
"Laugh, Love, Cheer"

United States

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  09:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bingo Babe
Correctomundo
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 02/08/2007 :  11:33:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rockfsh

Bingo Babe
Correctomundo

Cheers Rockfsh!

Will put my trivia hat on soon and come up with something to delight you or not as the case may be

OKAY ... here we go!

There's one half of a performing partnership who made his first film as a director with a 16mm short comedy in the late 1940s. It was a three-hander, though he also played two roles in the short, namely an American Indian and an Army recruiting officer. The film gave a first acting break to one half of another show biz partnership - though she'd already appeared in five films. This short is reputedly where the couple met, though they didn't marry for another two years.

Who are these people, all still household names. [well, in some households, anyway]

This seems to be a stumper ... so here are some more hints ... if no one has a guess in about a week, I'll post another somewhat less trivial item.

HINTS
The former partner of the director in question was part of the Rat Pack. The director, almost inexplicably found himself more popular in France than anyone could imagine ... they just love his zany antics.

The couple who appeared in the director's short film had a daughter who also starred in scores of films. She's married to a British lord. Her father once complained about the amount of time he had to wait for an iconically famous co-star to turn up on the set. Her mother once screen-died in a very clean manner.

Have I given too much away?

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 16/08/2007 11:40:29
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 16/08/2007 :  12:03:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Jerry Lewis had Tony Curtis in his first film "How to Smuggle a Hernia Across the Border", in which Janet Leigh appeared (who was later killed on screen while taking a shower in the movie "Psycho"). Leigh married Curtis and their actress daughter Jamie Lee Curtis is married to Christopher Guest who is the son of the fourth Baron of Saling in the County of Essex (which might make him the fifth Baron of Saling, I suppose).

The "Rat Pack" connection is Dean Martin - who teamed up with Jerry Lewis and were known as "Martin & Lewis".

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 16/08/2007 12:06:35
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 16/08/2007 :  12:18:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Jerry Lewis had Tony Curtis in his first film "How to Smuggle a Hernia Across the Border", in which Janet Leigh appeared (who was later killed on screen while taking a shower in the movie "Psycho"). Leigh married Curtis and their actress daughter Jamie Lee Curtis is married to Christopher Guest who is the son of the fourth Baron of Saling in the County of Essex (which might make him the fifth Baron of Saling, I suppose).

The "Rat Pack" connection is Dean Martin - who teamed up with Jerry Lewis and were known as "Martin & Lewis".

Correct in every detail ... who says hints are for the devil? Now, deviled chocolate ... hmmm.

Your go, CL!

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 16/08/2007 :  13:50:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This Italian is best known by the public as a film director, despite the fact that in his 50+ year career he's directed less than two dozen films. He studied to be an architect, and has gained aclaim for his theatre set direction and productions as well as productions of classical operas (two of which he brought to the New Israeli Opera, and after those positive experiences, decided to bring yet another one here for our next opera season). He also has some very impressive writing credits to his name, a semi-autobiographical movie of about his childhood that he also directed, and that had an all-star cast including three actresses that have been awarded DBEs. Name him.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 16/08/2007 13:51:34
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 
"Currently lost in Canada"

Posted - 16/08/2007 :  15:52:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

This Italian is best known by the public as a film director, despite the fact that in his 50+ year career he's directed less than two dozen films. He studied to be an architect, and has gained aclaim for his theatre set direction and productions as well as productions of classical operas (two of which he brought to the New Israeli Opera, and after those positive experiences, decided to bring yet another one here for our next opera season). He also has some very impressive writing credits to his name, a semi-autobiographical movie of about his childhood that he also directed, and that had an all-star cast including three actresses that have been awarded DBEs. Name him.

]

Zefirelli. The movie about his childhood is "Tea With Mussolini" with Maggie Smith, Judi Dench and Joan Plowright

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 17/08/2007 :  07:30:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bingo! You're next.

I was hoping the Israeli Opera bit would fool you, but I guess I should have left ouf the Tea with Mussolini and the three dames.

(By the way, my husband sometimes sings with the Israeli Opera chorus, and he was in Zefferlli's two productions here, and will be in the next one too. Apparently Franco only shows up once or twice and then leaves the real work to his... er... assistant.)

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 17/08/2007 07:33:08
Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 17/08/2007 :  16:00:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
These two actors were both huge stars and acted together in at least two movies. Their screen personae were opposites; one was the rugged cowboy, the other the urban sophisticate. In real life they were each from backgrounds vastly different from their public images, and in real life (it is rumoured) had a forbidden relationship, even at one time living together with the excuse that they were struggling contract players sharing expenses to make ends meet - when in reality they were each earning thousands a week. Name them. Bonus points if you can name the house they shared.

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 17/08/2007 :  17:05:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

These two actors were both huge stars and acted together in at least two movies. Their screen personae were opposites; one was the rugged cowboy, the other the urban sophisticate. In real life they were each from backgrounds vastly different from their public images, and in real life (it is rumoured) had a forbidden relationship, even at one time living together with the excuse that they were struggling contract players sharing expenses to make ends meet - when in reality they were each earning thousands a week. Name them. Bonus points if you can name the house they shared.

Hmm ... not sure if this is pair you mean, but there's long been a show-biz rumor that David Niven and Errol Flynn were either "just housemates" or more when they shared digs after the latter's divorce. They rented Rosalind Russell's house, but also another place in Jamaica which they called Cirrhosis on the Sea.

Is that what you're thinking of?

Go to Top of Page

ragingfluff 

Posted - 17/08/2007 :  18:25:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

quote:
Originally posted by ragingfluff

Hmm ... not sure if this is pair you mean, but there's long been a show-biz rumor that David Niven and Errol Flynn were either "just housemates" or more when they shared digs after the latter's divorce. They rented Rosalind Russell's house, but also another place in Jamaica which they called Cirrhosis on the Sea.

Is that what you're thinking of?

No

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 44 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000