Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  09:25:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a review approved, but Skulduggery had been changed to Skullduggery (which is the second spelling cited in the dictionary), so I have had to resubmit it. Of course I make occasional spelling mistakes, but let's face it, in reviews especially I am fairly careful. Therefore, please at least look the spelling up in a dictionary if you really think I have made an error!

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  10:06:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bizarrely I am quite the opposite I prefer the MERPs to correct my crap spelling and if they wanna go at my grammar as well then happy days. Ho Hum.

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  10:14:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't mind the MERPs correcting actual spelling mistakes of mine -- just not ones that they imagine to be the case and don't check.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  13:49:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps if you're misspelling something on purpose you could say so in the comments box after you submit it?
Go to Top of Page

aahaa, muahaha 
"Optimistic altruist, incurable romantic"

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  13:54:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hmmm, AFAICT, skulduggery is the proper spelling. in fact, this is the first time ever that I have come across the spelling skullduggery. May be it is a UK/ US thingie? I learnt UK English but use US English now-a-days. May be it is skullduggery in US?

Sal's suggestion is on the money in this instance, btw.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  14:30:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Perhaps if you're misspelling something on purpose you could say so in the comments box after you submit it?

That's a reasonable suggestion, although not apt in this instance.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  14:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by aahaa, muahaha

Hmmm, AFAICT, skulduggery is the proper spelling. in fact, this is the first time ever that I have come across the spelling skullduggery. May be it is a UK/ US thingie? I learnt UK English but use US English now-a-days. May be it is skullduggery in US?

Both spellings are valid, but the single L version has always been listed first in any dictionary that I have used. I seem to remember that the double L version was influenced by the word skull, but that isn't verified by my own dictionary here. I considered using the double L one since my review is indeed punning on Skull, but I decided that it was not necessary and so used the spelling I would personally normally use.

Edited by - SixFourian on 20/05/2008 14:36:40
Go to Top of Page

RockGolf 
"1500+ reviews. 1 joke."

Canada

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  14:46:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'd say there's some sinister plot in these so-called corrections. I just wish there was a word for it...
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  14:53:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  15:00:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Here's an example of where it got through unscathed.
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  18:42:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

Perhaps if they didn't take it upon themselves to rewrite our reviews for us we wouldn't have to use precious space asking them not to, when we already need that space to tell them why they shouldn't also consider it "too generic?" We only get 100 characters, after all.

I can't even remember which it was anymore but I had a review that was approved after having some 'quotes' added to it, and another that was approved after "fixing" an intentional misspelling I used for the purposes of a pun. I let both stand because they had already been waiting for approval for months already, and also because sending them through the whole approval process a second time would only increase the chances they would be retroactively rejected as "too generic," since the definition of that seems to change with the day of the week, phases of the moon, and possibly the stock market.

But the bottom line is: I wrote my review. It belongs to me and nobody else...not the MERPs, not even benj. If it's not good enough for this website, then reject it...but don't rewrite it for me. If you have a legitimate question, how about taking the extraordinary step of asking me? But don't rewrite my work for me, I didn't ask for an editor. MERPs should go write their own reviews and keep their hands off mine.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  18:56:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I had one where inverted commas kept being inserted into it too. However, the MERPs editing reviews is I feel valid in principle (that's what the E stands for, after all), so long as we can resubmit or delete reviews if we don't like any changes. Overruling perfectly standard spellings is another matter altogether.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  19:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Downtown

But the bottom line is: I wrote my review. It belongs to me and nobody else...not the MERPs, not even benj. If it's not good enough for this website, then reject it...but don't rewrite it for me. If you have a legitimate question, how about taking the extraordinary step of asking me? But don't rewrite my work for me, I didn't ask for an editor. MERPs should go write their own reviews and keep their hands off mine.

"Reviewer Agreement
By becoming a Four Word Film Review reviewer you agree that, upon submitting content (including film comments, summaries or reviews), said content immediately becomes the property of the Four Word Film Review. You also agree that benj clews (on behalf of the Four Word Film Review) has an unlimited license to republish any content you submit. If you don't want us using your words in any capacity, then don't post them on the site. In the event of republishing your content, you will be credited (under your chosen nickname at time of publishing) as author where possible. You also understand that submission of content does not guarantee publication (on the site or otherwise) and that content may be modified in order to fit the format of the site."
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  20:40:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

"Reviewer Agreement
By becoming a Four Word Film Review reviewer you agree that, upon submitting content (including film comments, summaries or reviews), said content immediately becomes the property of the Four Word Film Review. You also agree that benj clews (on behalf of the Four Word Film Review) has an unlimited license to republish any content you submit. If you don't want us using your words in any capacity, then don't post them on the site. In the event of republishing your content, you will be credited (under your chosen nickname at time of publishing) as author where possible. You also understand that submission of content does not guarantee publication (on the site or otherwise) and that content may be modified in order to fit the format of the site."

Thank you for reminding me of your "I can do whatever the hell I want" policy which I already knew about. It's a great way to avoid the real issue here: reviews are being rewritten by people that don't understand them. Are you prepared to discuss that or do you just want to point to the sign again? What would you have done if I hadn't given you an opening to tell us you can do whatever you want? Just ignore Sal's comment entirely?
Go to Top of Page

Tori 
"I don't get it...."

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  21:16:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

"Reviewer Agreement

Thank you for reminding me of your "I can do whatever the hell I want" policy which I already knew about. It's a great way to avoid the real issue here: reviews are being rewritten by people that don't understand them. Are you prepared to discuss that or do you just want to point to the sign again? What would you have done if I hadn't given you an opening to tell us you can do whatever you want? Just ignore Sal's comment entirely?

It's his site!!!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  21:52:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Thank you for reminding me of your "I can do whatever the hell I want" policy which I already knew about.

Sorry- I assumed from your comment you weren't aware of the policy. Next time you'll know better before posting.

quote:

It's a great way to avoid the real issue here: reviews are being rewritten by people that don't understand them. Are you prepared to discuss that or do you just want to point to the sign again?

Well, the original real issue was not of rewriting, but of 'corrected' spelling. Reviews aren't 'corrected' for no reason, so I'd put this down to either a different dictionary or genuine error. My apologies to Salopian if he feels he's especially picked on in this matter but I feel strongly this isn't the case and he can always resubmit, especially so as he's not one to be concerned by wait times.

quote:

What would you have done if I hadn't given you an opening to tell us you can do whatever you want? Just ignore Sal's comment entirely?

I would have waited until I got in from work. Which is what I did.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000