New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  07:16:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just had a MERP turn down one of my reviews saying it was too many words because I used "gameplay" as one word. Now, I know that Google and Wikipedia aren't experts, but neither of them seem to think that "gameplay" is misspelled as one word.

So... should I resubmit it saying that today, the word "gameplay" is acceptable without a space, or should I resubmit it as "game-play". If the latter, would the MERP still decline it as having too many words.

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  08:21:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If it where me, I would go to a dictionary site and get the url of the evidence. I have also found quoting other reviews on the site that include the word or fact worked for me.

Hope that helps

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  10:57:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
http://www.ldoceonline.com/dictionary/gameplay lists it as one word!
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  12:37:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a tricky one. None of the major online dictionary's consider it one word - Merriam Webster, Cambridge, Dictionary.com (and hence Google- in google if your result is a blue clickable link it's in the dictionary); not in this instance.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  13:52:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would have thought it one word but it does seem to be much less formally established as one than I expected. However, the MERPs aren't in charge of which dictionary to refer to, so I would just post http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gameplay in your explanation. It may be user-generated but it's pretty reliable. There is no discussion on its talk page suggesting its removal. If things like DeNiro are (unreasonably) allowed, then it's disproportionate to object to this.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  15:10:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

If things like DeNiro are (unreasonably) allowed, then it's disproportionate to object to this.

It's perfectly reasonable when you consider how it would read if you strictly enforced the one word rule on a name such as this.

"Niro interrogates mirror repeatedly"- who the heck is Niro?

I simply don't see why you should be penalised an extra word dependent on an actor's unusual name. Also names aren't standardised in the same way we try to do with normal words (i.e. in Dictionaries) so I don't see why they should be enforced as if they were.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  16:13:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
But names are standardised, by person (in most cases). I could live with DeNiro being used for films where he is wrongly credited as such, but in other cases it's just no good. It's not as though it's hard to find out which are which. It's disrespectful to write people's name wrongly.

It makes no sense to say that it is unfair to penalise people for two-part names. Why is it any different to having to treat two-word phrases as such? We cannot just pretend that a string is four words when no reputable source agrees that it is (i.e. a different film spelling a name wrongly is not such a source).

Of course no one should just use Niro. They should use De Niro or find a different wording, by character name or otherwise.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  18:07:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

It makes no sense to say that it is unfair to penalise people for two-part names. Why is it any different to having to treat two-word phrases as such?

Because I say so. I want folks here to be able to use the first or last name (whichever's most recognisable) of an actor and not be at a disadvantage simply because the actor has a weird name.

This is not up for discussion. I've long been decided on this. I have no inclination whatsoever to change the ruling just because you think it might offend an actor we slightly misspelled their name.

P.S. It's benj not Benj.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 05/06/2009 :  20:20:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I trust this topic has been exhausted now?

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000