Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 04/12/2009 :  23:17:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

That was part of it. Another was a bug in my code and another was an issue with the order the backlog was being presented to the MERPs. To my knowledge all these have been resolved however.

As I showed when I first raised it, the backlog does not seem to have anything to do with it. This stat seems to just cover reviews submitted and approved in the specified period. I tested this by checking the approval results for recent periods: when older reviews had been approved within the period, but no reviews submitted within it had been, the stat indicated 0.

Since I first highlighted it some time ago, those two reviewers' stats have been approximately the same, which further indicates that the backlog was not what was inflating them.

Edited by - SixFourian on 04/12/2009 23:19:27
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  00:51:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sa10pian

quote:

That was part of it. Another was a bug in my code and another was an issue with the order the backlog was being presented to the MERPs. To my knowledge all these have been resolved however.

As I showed when I first raised it, the backlog does not seem to have anything to do with it. This stat seems to just cover reviews submitted and approved in the specified period. I tested this by checking the approval results for recent periods: when older reviews had been approved within the period, but no reviews submitted within it had been, the stat indicated 0.

Since I first highlighted it some time ago, those two reviewers' stats have been approximately the same, which further indicates that the backlog was not what was inflating them.

Blimey- for someone who apparently struggles to fit things in with their hectic and not at all mundane and predictable life, you sure spend a lot of time sitting around analysing fwfr data and creating stats

As for the backlog factor, you're just plain wrong I'm afraid. As I said, the backlog was part of the problem- not ALL of it no, but certainly was part of it for a time. I know this from the many, many hours I spent pouring over the raw data. Meanwhile, your analysis relies entirely on the information I choose to provide you with through the website. This is why you only get to use terms like 'seems to' and 'indicates' whilst I get to use the fun ones like 'I know' and 'certainly was'.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 05/12/2009 :  05:30:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartlivie

quote:

quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

So was the Canadian personal income tax, introduced in 1917 to help defray the cost of the war. Needless to say, it never went away.

Do you remember it bitterly, lemmy?

Hehee. I LOLed on that.

Easy for you to LOL. Your tax rates are lower than ours.
Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  09:52:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
I agree the cap should probably be a bit higher though.

Go on then I'll ask what do you imagine the new level would be? and when do you think it might happen?

No I didn't really expect you to give me specific answers to these questions as that would give some people too much ammunition.

Josh the cat

Edited by - Josh the cat on 06/12/2009 18:54:37
Go to Top of Page

Yukon 
"Co-editor of FWFR book"

Kingston, Canada

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  13:34:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

I'm currently considering it. However, I do think it serves an important job: making people carefully consider what they're submitting rather than lobbing every variant on a review they can think to, effectively leaving the MERPs to filter the repeated chaff. They have better things to be doing with their time and it's you the reviewers who should decide which version of a review you want to use.

When I first started out on FWFR, I submitted a few reviews. I checked back 10 minuets later and couldn't understand why they weren't approved. I checked back the next day and the next and the next and they still weren't approved. I didn't know this was a site run by volunteers. I couldn't understand what was taking the FWFR Corporation (which I was sure was staffed with hundreds of review approvers) so long to approve movies on its website.

So I left the site. Three months later, some encouragement from Corduroy Pillow and Dalmac pulled me back in. (I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for those two.)

So anything that can speed up the approval process -- while increasing the quality of the reviews - is a good thing.

The only drawback to the cap in my opinion is that when you first sign up to FWFR, you get really addicted. I was submitting 50-75 reviews a week. A newbie today doesn't get that joy of spending all their free time on this insanely addictive site. I suggested before a good idea would be to allow newbies to get to 200 approvals before the cap kicks in.

(Just my two cents Benj -- it's your site.)

Go to Top of Page

Josh the cat 
"ice wouldn't melt, you'd think ....."

East Yorkshire, England.

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  15:41:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Yukon
A newbie today doesn't get that joy of spending all their free time on this insanely addictive site. I suggested before a good idea would be to allow newbies to get to 200 approvals before the cap kicks in.

I have a feeling that a newbie is not immediately restricted by the cap, I believe they do have some time at a higher/unrestricted level

Josh the cat
Go to Top of Page

clay 
"Viewer discretion is revised."

Phoenix, AZ, USA

Posted - 06/12/2009 :  16:38:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Of course, if the cap is to be kept, then the total-reviews ranking must not retain primacy. It's totally unfair to laud some reviewers according to parameters that are now not attainable.

"Must not"

I'm sorry... did I recently die and, in my final, mad death throes hand over all creative control to you?

I laughed myself silly over this exchange. It is so much like the Book of Job--"where were you when I made the world?"

And then later, the discussion of "must" as an ethical imperative--I laughed myself sillier.

It's not a perfect world nor a perfect website, but there is certainly fun to be had!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000