Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 24

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  03:45:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Yep- old site fine with carriage returns, new site not. Will let you know once the fix is live.

Should be fixed now.

Errmm... it's not fixed. The last 10 (at least) in my messages list are all one-lined, i.e., carriage returns have been removed. They're fine in my email client (Outlook 2010) though.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  09:12:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sean

quote:

Yep- old site fine with carriage returns, new site not. Will let you know once the fix is live.

Should be fixed now.

Errmm... it's not fixed. The last 10 (at least) in my messages list are all one-lined, i.e., carriage returns have been removed. They're fine in my email client (Outlook 2010) though.

Well, it was, but then the diacritics fix threw it out again (you have to be quick to see fixes on this site- get 'em while you can )

It's back on my list so will post here when sorted (again).
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  09:17:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Typing a query into the search box produces a drop down of matching choices but hitting return without selecting anything just brings back a properly titled but blank page rather than a page of results - this applies to what would be even a small return of titles. Any ideas?

So you're not even getting No Films in the search results box?

Yeah, I see what you mean. It's another just you problem I'm afraid- will fix ASAP.

Fixed.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  22:39:18  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
benj, sometimes when I click on someone's review choices for FYCTH I get the faded star thing so I can vote, but other times --- e.g. whl's current selection ... I can see her 5 reviews, but no faded stars, in fact nothing to click on.

Any ideas?

BTW - I'm running Google Chrome, Windows 7
TIA

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  22:44:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

benj, sometimes when I click on someone's review choices for FYCTH I get the faded star thing so I can vote, but other times --- e.g. whl's current selection ... I can see her 5 reviews, but no faded stars, in fact nothing to click on.

Any ideas?

TIA

I'm guessing you're probably logged out on the occaisions you're starless- can you check the next time it happens if you have a Login button just below the logo? (If I'm right, this will be resolved once I get the fourum login connected to the main site login again)
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  23:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Any ideas?

TIA

I'm guessing you're probably logged out on the occaisions you're starless- can you check the next time it happens if you have a Login button just below the logo? (If I'm right, this will be resolved once I get the fourum login connected to the main site login again)

I don't think it's a login thing. I'm logged in and I can, for example, vote on randall's stuff ... I can see the gold stars and the faded stars. But with whl's stuff, I can see her five fwfrs but there's nothing to click on. Boo-hoo BTW - this is also happening on some of jim's links in last week's TA:MOU ... and yet demonic's stuff was fine.

Mystery ... spooky possums ...

Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 15/03/2012 :  23:37:07  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
But with whl's stuff, I can see her five fwfrs but there's nothing to click on.

Put "www" in front of her link and it'll work. Her link is of the fwfr.com variety, not the www.fwfr.com variety. You'll be logged out of that one (like I was when I just checked). It would also be the same if someone used www.fwfr.co.uk. Simple test... click the link that whl supplied in FYCTH and see if the login tab appears top left.

Alternatively log into all the fwfr sites and stay logged into them all.

The best solution of all (to solve this problem permanently) is to ignore forever after the links posted by users, and open their link from their name under their avatar in the left-hand column.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 16/03/2012 :  06:38:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
But with whl's stuff, I can see her five fwfrs but there's nothing to click on.

Put "www" in front of her link and it'll work. Her link is of the fwfr.com variety, not the www.fwfr.com variety. You'll be logged out of that one (like I was when I just checked). It would also be the same if someone used www.fwfr.co.uk. Simple test... click the link that whl supplied in FYCTH and see if the login tab appears top left.

Alternatively log into all the fwfr sites and stay logged into them all.

The best solution of all (to solve this problem permanently) is to ignore forever after the links posted by users, and open their link from their name under their avatar in the left-hand column.

Yep - you got it! Big thanks, sean

Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 17/03/2012 :  07:15:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
benj, not sure if these points have already been noted, I haven't read through the full thread

I notice that apparently I achieved all the accolades I've won on the same date, January 4, 2012 ... which is obviously not the case. I played around with a couple of other reviewers/accolades and seems they also have "fixed dates" for achieving accolades, but not the same date as me.

I also found a couple of accolades won by reviewers with a date-of-completion before the newest film in he accolade; maybe this is a deliberate way to track accolade completion for accolades that have films added to them later, or maybe it is a bug?

Edited by - bife on 17/03/2012 07:15:41
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 18/03/2012 :  16:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
There was a counter on the old site home page that told you the number of reviews and movies there were on the whole site. Is that now gone????? Don't want to miss a milestone.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  00:14:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

There was a counter on the old site home page that told you the number of reviews and movies there were on the whole site. Is that now gone????? Don't want to miss a milestone.

It's gone until I can see somewhere to fit it in. TBH, I didn't realise it was a feature people made use of!
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  00:32:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

The Additional Films feature seems to work (for manually adding movies).

But... I can't see how to work the Selection Rules stuff. I tried putting names into the "Include Films Involving..." part, the icon starts turning, but then nothing happens (it doesn't pop up with a list of personnel as I'd expect) and no name seems to be added. The "Include Films Named Like..." function doesn't seem to do anything.

Should be working now- let me know if not.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  00:52:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

The Additional Films feature seems to work (for manually adding movies).

But... I can't see how to work the Selection Rules stuff. I tried putting names into the "Include Films Involving..." part, the icon starts turning, but then nothing happens (it doesn't pop up with a list of personnel as I'd expect) and no name seems to be added. The "Include Films Named Like..." function doesn't seem to do anything.

Should be working now- let me know if not.

Looks fine. Thanks mate.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  01:27:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
[Default/generic apology if this has already been mentioned.]

OK, this one's not a bug or anything, just a suggestion for a tweak or two that I'd try if it was my site (but that you may not like at all).

It relates to the colour and prominence of the movie score and associated stars on movie pages.

a) The Score - (i.e., the number displayed under the title to the left of the genres) in my view lacks the prominence it deserves. This is only ever going to be a one or two character number such as 3.1. It's dwarfed by the much longer words in the genres, and even more so by the Tweet/Google/FB-Like tabs with backgrounds etc on the same line.
Suggestion:- I'd like to see it's prominence increased, perhaps by as little as bolding, or perhaps through colour or putting a background under it or a combination of all three or something.

b) The Stars - also lack prominence IMO, not by size, but by colour. When I haven't scored a movie then they're non-prominent which I think is fine, but once scored the stars doesn't leap out as much as they should, or at all actually. I think the reason for this is that the scored colour is white/silver like the hatched background of the movie title so it just seems to disappear on the page.
Suggestion:- Make the scored colour something that's different from the title-background grey/white/silver. Actually I think the blue that you've used when mousing over it could be ideal, it's not garish* yet it's prominent enough to be useful. So, if it was me I'd swap those two colours, i.e., use the blue as the "I've scored this movie" colour and the grey/white/silver as the mouse-over colour.

*There's also plenty of colour already on an average movie page with rosettes and user icons.

My two cents worth.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 19/03/2012 :  12:06:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by TitanPA

It's gone until I can see somewhere to fit it in. TBH, I didn't realise it was a feature people made use of!

Hopefully it comes back. We make us of it to be aware of milestones. Plus it's kind of like the the McDonald's counter (1 billion burgers sold). It's nice to see and know how big this site is getting.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 24 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000