Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  23:08:50  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I saw that TitanPa was following the 30 day Song Challenge on facebook, and I thought I'd adapt this for FWFR. It's a simple idea - every day you do it, the theme changes. Just pick a movie to match the theme. Start at any time, but start with day 1, and work your way through all 30 days. Add explanations/reasons if you wish. Oh, by the end of it, you might have 30 extra reviews. Try not to repeat movies if at all possible.

The themes are:

day 01 - your favourite movie
day 02 - your least favourite movie
day 03 - a movie that makes you happy
day 04 - a movie that makes you sad
day 05 - a movie that reminds you of someone
day 06 - a movie that reminds you of somewhere
day 07 - a movie that reminds you of a certain event
day 08 - a movie that you would like to have written
day 09 - a movie that has a great musical soundtrack
day 10 - a movie that makes you fall asleep
day 11 - a movie from your favourite actor
day 12 - a movie from an actor you hate
day 13 - a movie that is a guilty pleasure
day 14 - a movie that no one would expect you to love
day 15 - a movie that describes you
day 16 - a movie that you used to love but now hate
day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD
day 18 - a movie that you wish you could see on TV
day 19 - a movie from your favourite director
day 20 - a movie that makes you angry
day 21 - a movie with a character that you would want to be
day 22 - a movie with a character that you wouldn't want to be
day 23 - the first movie you ever saw at the cinema
day 24 - a movie that you want people to watch at your funeral
day 25 - a movie that makes you laugh
day 26 - a movie that's really old, that you like
day 27 - a movie that you gave up on half way through
day 28 - a movie that wish you hadn't seen
day 29 - a movie from your childhood
day 30 - a movie with an actor who you would want to play you in a movie

Edited by - Chris C on 24/02/2011 10:43:18

Chris C 

Posted - 11/02/2011 :  23:10:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, day 1, my favourite movie. Probably "The Blues Brothers". It just does it for me, and I love the music. I have watched this many times over the years, and I don't tire of it.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  00:48:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK - Day 1
My favourite movie of all time is La Grande Illusion
It's not the one I've watched the most, but every time I have seen it, I'm reminded of how cinema exists as both an art form and an entertainment on every level. Director Jean Renoir inherits the painterly eye of his Impressionist painter dad Auguste. He invites a partnership with some of the best actors you'll ever see, photographed by a camera genius who shows the power and richness of a black and white canvas. It's touching and witty and transcends its era to speak to every one of us through time and the world.

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  00:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Are you supposed to write about your favorite movie, etc. or watch it or both?
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  12:35:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

Are you supposed to write about your favorite movie, etc. or watch it or both?

Just writing about it is enough. If you get the urge to watch it as well, then that's not a problem.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  12:42:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 2 - least favourite movie.

Probably "Being There". I know that there are those me you out there that think this is a great movie. I don't. Sorry. There is absolutely nothing about this film that makes me ever want to go anywhere near it ever again. Dull, dull, dull.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  13:49:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 2 - least favourite movie.

Crikey, what a choice! I guess of mainstream films it would be Vanilla Sky. More than any particular element or moment, my eyes roll ever upwards at the underlying pretentions of the theme as well as the ludicrous manipulations of the plot.

I can blame Cameron Crowe for not turning down the project - the actors have all been way better elsewhere, so not really their fault.

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  18:55:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 02 - Least favorite movie

I'm sorry to miss Day 01 since I prefer recommending greatness to denigrating grate-ness.

Anyhow, a good contender for my least favorite film would be Ben & Arthur; a film I would describe as less than amateurish. I saw it at the Silent Movie Theatre in West Hollywood with a bunch of hipsters who laughed, cracked jokes, and generally had a good time of "Mystery Science Theater-ing" the film. The movie is about two gay guys in Los Angeles who undergo all sorts of crazy obstacles to their relationship. The film its heart in the right place (its kind of a weird plea for tolerance), but its so incompetently made and so wild and over the top in its plot and dialogue that it plays like a soap opera crossed with an after school special crossed with a West Hollywood camp. Here's a fairly representative sample clip.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 12/02/2011 :  23:50:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Attempting to catch up:

DAY 1 - Favourite movie: The Sound of Music
Okay, I know it's sappy -- but the story is uplifting, the music is marvelous, and the acting superb. I guess I've seen it about thirty times through the years and it still holds its glow for me.

DAY 2 - Least favourite movie: Love Story
In spite of my low threshold for the maudlin, this really crossed the line. Extrememly superficial, with bad acting all around (in spite of awards and nominations), I've never been so disappointed in a film.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  09:04:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

Day 02 - Least favorite movie

I'm sorry to miss Day 01 since I prefer recommending greatness to denigrating grate-ness.

Anyhow, a good contender for my least favorite film would be Ben & Arthur; a film I would describe as less than amateurish. I saw it at the Silent Movie Theatre in West Hollywood with a bunch of hipsters who laughed, cracked jokes, and generally had a good time of "Mystery Science Theater-ing" the film. The movie is about two gay guys in Los Angeles who undergo all sorts of crazy obstacles to their relationship. The film its heart in the right place (its kind of a weird plea for tolerance), but its so incompetently made and so wild and over the top in its plot and dialogue that it plays like a soap opera crossed with an after school special crossed with a West Hollywood camp. Here's a fairly representative sample clip.

Sorry for any confusion. The idea is that you start at any time, from day 1, and then work through all 30 days in order.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  10:43:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 3 - a movie that makes you happy
Gotta be WALL-E!

Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  15:26:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Day 3 - a movie that makes you happy
Gotta be WALL-E!

Day 3 - I'm with BB on this one.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 13/02/2011 :  22:45:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Day 3 - Why is it that a good animated movie will make you feel happier than a good live-action film? Yes, I'm going with animation, too, for the movie that makes me happy:

Monsters, Inc.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  08:01:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 03 - a movie that makes you happy

Who Framed Roger Rabbit; especially the scene in which Valient fulfills his character arc. I won't spoil how or why or what his arc is in case there are any here who haven't seen the film.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  08:54:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'll play!

day 01 - your favourite movie - The Philadelphia Story - the script just shines, even today, and there's no question that Hepburn was at her very best here.

day 02 - your least favourite movie - a toss up between Gladiator and The English Patient - the former just ticked me off for being so glaringly, historically inaccurate and the latter totally, utterly and completely ruined one of my all-time favourite books.

day 03 - a movie that makes you happy - Ratatouille - like most of you, animated films are the ones that make me most happy. This one has such a nice ending, you can't help but smile when you think of it.

day 04 - a movie that makes you sad - Who Will Love My Children - it was probably the hormones that did it, but I saw this when I was pregnant with my 1st child and I cannot tell you how much I cried throughout this film. Ann-Margaret was exceptional as the dying mother of 10 trying to find homes for her kids before she dies. Yes, it was a made-for-TV movie, but nothing made me sadder than watching this. I cannot even think about it without tearing up!

Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  10:26:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4 - movie that makes you sad

Alain Resnais' quietly devastating doco Night and Fog which juxtaposes b&w archive footage of concentration camps with full-on color shots of the pleasant contemporary (1960s) landscape. I'm not even sure there was a narration. But I won't ever forget the shots of a mountain of eyeglasses. Or a pan up to the gas chamber ceiling revealing countless scratches in the stone where prisoners tried to find escape. And today we have ...

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000