Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  13:30:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 4 - movie that makes you sad

When the Wind Blows - possibly the most down I've ever been upon leaving a cinema.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  15:00:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Thanks for telling me about When the Wind Blows. I wasn't familiar with it, but I'll seek it out now. It reminded me of the film I'm listing today (another made-for-TV movie slips in) with a similar theme:

Day 4 - A movie that makes you sad: Threads.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 14/02/2011 :  18:01:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 04 - a movie that makes you sad

Holocaust movies make me saddest, but Night and Fog was already mentioned, so I'm going to go with Munich, another film about tragedy befalling Jews in particular and humanity in general.

Edited by - GHcool on 14/02/2011 18:01:47
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  10:37:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 5 - a movie that reminds you of someone

The Great Gatsby
A consummate director, and not bad in bed either.

Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  13:13:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 5 - a movie that reminds you of someone

The Untouchables. For various reasons, it reminds me of a ex-girlfriend.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 15/02/2011 :  17:45:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Novelist Edna Lee is a cousin of my mother. Her book, and subsequently the film, "Queen Bee" is based on relatives of my mother and grandmother. Here is a letter Edna Lee wrote to Joan Crawford at the time Joan was negotiating to purchase the rights to the book. The film opened a year later.

Dear Joan Crawford:

At last I'm home from Atlanta and before old routine gets to me I must tell you how deeply I appreciated the graciousness which prompted you to call me long distance. It was a very real thrill not only to me but to my sister and her 10-year-old son. Especially for the last. For days he trooped in with dozens of his buddies to see "his aunt who talked to Joan Crawford."

Seriously, I am delighted at the chance of your doing the Queen Bee for as I said over the phone (and sincerely meant) you can do it magnificently. In fact, thinking of you in the role convinces me that you are the only star who could give Eva the calculating, greedy, destructiveness, and at the same time preserve the illusive intangible "something" which won others over at first, convinced them she was lovely and "sweet."

I'll be waiting with my fingers crossed of course. And wishing for you - whether you do Queen Bee or not - all the wonderful success you so richly deserve.

Day 5 - a movie that reminds you of someone: Queen Bee

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  00:21:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 05 - a movie that reminds you of someone

Mary & Max reminds me of a director I worked and became friendly with named Cathy Malkasian. She was actually the one who recommended the movie to me. I watched it and realized why. Her sense of humor is similar and so is her art. If you like Mary & Max, pick up a copy of Percy Gloom, an excellent graphic novel written and drawn by Cathy.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  07:28:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 05 - a movie that reminds you of someone � Cat Baloo � this reminds me of my father because he would only watch a western that was also a comedy. I also remember he took the whole family to see this at a drive-in theater, which was a real treat at the time.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  23:15:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Day 06 - a movie that reminds you of somewhere

Ernest Saves Christmas, filmed here in Orlando, some of it in my neighborhood.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  23:33:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Two movies for the price of one today: Cry Freedom and Zulu. Bringing back memories of 7 very happy months in South Africa (it's the scenery that does it for me)
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 16/02/2011 :  23:42:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Mean Streets - plot and characters aside, the location really captured what it was like to walk around the Village every day.

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  19:28:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 06 - a movie that reminds you of somewhere

Toy Story 2 reminds me of a vintage/collector's toy store I used to frequent as a teenager called Red Toys in the San Fernando Valley. The owner looked a little like the villain in Toy Story 2 and had a similar hobby and lifestyle. His store was full of old, cool toys. I still have a vintage Rosie the Robot from "The Jetsons" that I got from there. Its one of my favorite knick-knacks I own.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  20:06:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 07 - a movie that reminds you of a certain event.

This is a hard one. Nothing immediately springs to mind, apart from "Singing in the Rain", which I first watched on my first trans-Atlantic flight. It was either that, or "Cats and Dogs".
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  20:23:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Day 07 - A movie that reminds you of a certain event:

Beneath the Planet of the Apes

I proposed to my first wife about an hour after we saw Beneath the Planet of the Apes. I wonder why that marriage didn't work out?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  23:39:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 07 - A movie that reminds you of a certain event

JFK - Yes, I remember where I was when I heard the news ... someone came barging into our college economics classroom and announced the assassination, then he bounded out again. We sat in shock, and no one had to tell us that school was out for the day. I spent the w/e glued to the t.v. and crying lots. Ironic how such a tragic act has the power to unify.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000