Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  00:52:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Can anyone add to this list, and am I right in thinking that these all qualify?

They should be reboots relative to previous films, not just to television series &c. They don't literally have to wear suits though.

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  12:28:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't buy that The Wolverine is a reboot - it features the same actor in the same role: it's clearly another chapter in the mythology already developed on film for the character, but deals with his martial arts training, so is more accurately a prequel.

I would submit 'The Phantom' (2009, http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=36062) - that is ABSOLUTELY a reboot of the terrible Billy Zane version from the 1990's, and while IMDb classifies it as a TV mvie, I saw it on the big screen here in a festival setting, all four hours' worth.

Edited by - AC on 17/02/2011 12:31:15
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  13:50:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Finally a topic a am good at

Captain America

The Incredible Hulk

Superman: Man of Steel

Fantastic Four (original was released in 1994)

Edited by - TitanPa on 17/02/2011 13:54:59
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  13:56:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was Superman Returns a reboot? As I understood it, it was a continuation of the story following on from Superman II, hence the references to Superman inexplicably disappearing for some time prior to this. Certainly, it didn't reimagine the character- the origin was left as having been explained in the original Superman.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  13:58:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also, The Punisher has been rebooted at least once (Dolph Lundgren played him originally, then rebooted as Thomas Jane. Not sure if the subsequent Punisher film is starting afresh however).
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:00:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Also I found out there is another Fantastic Four reboot for 2013
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:01:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Was Superman Returns a reboot? As I understood it, it was a continuation of the story following on from Superman II, hence the references to Superman inexplicably disappearing for some time prior to this. Certainly, it didn't reimagine the character- the origin was left as having been explained in the original Superman.

I as a comic book fan agree. It was not a reboot. I followed Superman 1 & 2. It was what LOST fans call a Flash Sideways or what Back To The Future fans call another timeline.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:04:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by AC

I don't buy that The Wolverine is a reboot - it features the same actor in the same role: it's clearly another chapter in the mythology already developed on film for the character, but deals with his martial arts training, so is more accurately a prequel.

I agree on this. I'd say an important factor for something to be a reboot is that it reimagines the origin story (or at least feels the need to re-explain it). We already know Wolverine's origin from the X-Men 2, Wolverine simply builds on that.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:06:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dredd (Judge Dredd rebooted. No Stallone thank god!)

Flash Gordon

Edited by - TitanPa on 17/02/2011 14:11:40
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:11:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am starting to wonder if Salopian needs to clarify Superhero. Are we talking genuine super-powered beings from comic books (in which case Batman doesn't apply) or the usual (incorrect) definition of any character from a comic book?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:13:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Am starting to wonder if Salopian needs to clarify Superhero. Are we talking genuine super-powered beings from comic books (in which case Batman doesn't apply) or the usual (incorrect) definition of any character from a comic book?

I was wondering that as well. But your wondering if he is only meaning super powered beings. I am wondering why he said they dont have to wear suits. So does he mean Dick Tracey and such like that?
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:18:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

quote:

I was wondering that as well. But your wondering if he is only meaning super powered beings. I am wondering why he said they dont have to wear suits. So does he mean Dick Tracey and such like that?

Good point. Does sound like he means anyone from a comic book, in which case the accolade is wrongly described. Not everyone in comics is either super-powered or even heroic (super or otherwise).

Care to clarify Salopian?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:24:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Would G.I. Joe be a reboot? Since one was a cartoon and the other live action.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:28:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by TitanPa

Would G.I. Joe be a reboot? Since one was a cartoon and the other live action.

And does that count as a comic book superhero? Sure, it's a comic, but it's a comic based on a toy, if I'm not mistaken? Which raises an interesting question, is the film of the comic or the toy?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:30:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Buffy the Vampire Slayer?
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/02/2011 :  14:31:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Catwoman?