New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  05:17:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so the fourth instalment of our fledgling 'Four Word Film Review' Movie Viewing Club is upon us. And what a crappy movie it is this week.

From an idea originally suggested by TitanPa, we will choose, view and discuss a new film twice a month - with each new round beginning on the 1st and the 15th.

Everyone is welcome to contribute if you have seen the film in question, and all the better if you have recently seen or have recently rewatched the film. With all films chosen up to a month in advance it will allow those interested in contributing to source and view the film in question, either bought, rented or borrowed on DVD; through a subscription service or simply viewed online. You are also welcome to comment on any previous rounds.

Each film is chosen by fwiffers in the order of initial interest shown on the discussion thread here. If you want to select a future title simply express interest on the thread linked above or drop me a message and I'll add it to the list.

The current line up is as follows:

01.04.11 - TitanPa - TEETH (2007)
15.04.11 - GHCool - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
01.05.11 - demonic - THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928)
15.05.11 - Se�n - MONSTURD (2003)
01.06.11 - benj clews
15.06.11 - bife
01.07.11 - Cheese Ed
15.07.11 - [matt]
01.08.11 - wildheartlivie
15.08.11 - ChocolateLady
01.09.11 - BaftaBabe
15.09.11 - Tori
01.10.11 - Randall

There's no commitment to watching and commenting on every movie in every round, but all reviews, comments and contributions will be very welcome from all comers. It goes without saying these threads will be a spoiler-heavy area, and anyone reading posts before viewing the film in question should be fully aware of this.

------------------------------------------

The film under discussion for MVC #4 is "Monsturd", an ultra-low budget horror comedy that also happens to be one of the most-reviewed movies at fwfr. Many have reviewed it but not seen it, only a handful have actually seen it. Let's correct this travesty and give this B-masterpiece the love it deserves.

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  05:24:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I won't post my review here just yet; I've seen it four times and reviewed it here four years ago.

Read the thread here if interested. I'll copy my review into this thread in a couple of weeks when you've all seen the movie.
Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 16/05/2011 :  18:17:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best movie I've ever seen in New Zealand.

Also the worst movie I've ever seen in New Zealand.

Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  02:32:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I'm not sure whether we declare MVC dead yet or not. Nobody appears to have watched this one, and only one person - that was me - watched the last one (that doesn't include those who'd already seen them).

Still, if benj wants to pick a movie for this round then I'll go watch it. I intend to watch them all as long as people keep picking them.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  05:57:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Well, I'm not sure whether we declare MVC dead yet or not. Nobody appears to have watched this one, and only one person - that was me - watched the last one (that doesn't include those who'd already seen them).

Still, if benj wants to pick a movie for this round then I'll go watch it. I intend to watch them all as long as people keep picking them.

Maybe the trick is to pick one that will have an appeal for a wide variety of people. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but Double Indemnity had a fairly active thread.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  06:31:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Maybe the trick is to pick one that will have an appeal for a wide variety of people. I don't mean to toot my own horn, but Double Indemnity had a fairly active thread.

But hasn't everyone already seen the wide-appeal movies? And Teeth also had an active thread.

I picked one that I thought was suitable for this club as it's one that most would not have seen, would not normally see, but once they'd seen it would be glad they had. I.e, how often do people get to see a home-made labour-of-love full-length $3000 movie that's actually pretty damn funny?

So I guess I saw MVC as a way to get others to pick out movies for me to watch that I would not normally have picked for myself. Hence my pick.

Edited by - Sean on 01/06/2011 06:33:11
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 01/06/2011 :  14:39:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Well, I did watch the several trailers and snippets on YouTube, etc. I'm afraid that nothing I saw was as intriguing as the basic concept - some shit becomes a monster and contaminates people. I think that's a sublime comic premise, but what I saw - albeit snippets as I said - was predictable and amateurish.

IMHO to get real comic mileage from the premise it needs to be backed by some social analysis. Otherwise, it's just a premise. And it really doesn't take money to make that happen. Wit, yes. A sense of narrative, yes. Surprising characters - other than the Monsturd. Yes. So far I see no evidence.

You've actually seen it, Sean - so tell us whether I gave up too soon!

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  04:08:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's been a busy couple of weeks for me, but I'm going to watch and comment as soon as I can on this round Sean. I'm not entirely prepared to give up on the idea of MVC yet, even if it stays quiet for a while - I think it's worth the effort. I had a brief exchange with Benj a week or two about about his choice of film for the new round and he was deliberating - asking much the same questions as what is a good film to make people interested enough to comment. I don't think there's an answer to that. All that's really required is a general interest in watching film and getting involved - what the film is is sort of unimportant - the person who chooses is the benevolent dictator as long as they have a reason to choose the film in question - hence the pleasing variations seen so far. Good films, bad films, classic films, unseen films - all should, in theory, generate comment. Basically we have to go with it and get involved, which applies to threads across the whole fourum really.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  04:34:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Agreed on all counts, demonic. Anyway, it's already the 2nd so benj is offically late. I'll PM him and ask him to pick one ASAP.

Meanwhile those next on the list could hopefully start filling in the gaps so we've got something to work with.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  06:37:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I can't speak for everyone here, but personally, I'd prefer to watch films that come highly recommended by the person who chooses; films he/she thinks we would want to watch aside from the shits-and-giggles aspect. There are too many films higher than Teeth and Monsturd on my list of films to see that I chose not to participate in either MVC. I wanted to see Joan of Arc but didn't have the time during that period.

Long story short, I'd like to see more choices like Joan of Arc and Double Indemnity and less like Monsturd and Teeth.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 02/06/2011 :  06:59:30  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

I can't speak for everyone here, but personally, I'd prefer to watch films that come highly recommended by the person who chooses;
My choice did. I've seen Monsturd four times, and enjoyed it more than Citizen Kane (which I've seen once).
quote:
There are too many films higher than Teeth and Monsturd on my list of films to see that I chose not to participate in either MVC.
That's an understandable rationale for not watching those ones. My approach is somewhat different; the MVC pick goes straight to the top of my viewing list, it leapfrogs the hundreds of other movies that I put on the list first. That (for me) is 99% of the point of MVC; I'm letting someone else pick a movie for me twice per month (and that becomes the most important movie on my list).
quote:

Long story short, I'd like to see more choices like Joan of Arc and Double Indemnity and less like Monsturd and Teeth.
Many would, but all I hope is that whatever people choose, they have a good reason for choosing it. I think the four chosen so far were all good choices. I intend to see every MVC movie, but will probably ignore the ones I've already seen that I have little interest in seeing again.

Edited by - Sean on 02/06/2011 07:04:34
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000