New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 05/10/2008 :  17:35:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Fly Me to the Moon

Whatever you think about the film, the 3D animation is stunning. Whether it's a glass lab-phial that breaks inside the weightless Apollo 13 moon ship, or billows of smoke or handfulls of confetti -- every detail is perfect - reflections, shadows, action through glass. In that sense the film is a mini-masterpiece. But what lets the thing down is the double whammy of a mediocre script and a real lack of focus. It's almost, but not quite, a cartoon hallalujah to those neat-o guys who brought you the first moon landing, that giant step for mankind.

The great space race was set against a fabricated rivalry between the US and Russia, here dealt with by some good ole American flies and some sinister-looking Soviet flies [one, complete with a scar-face!]. You can tell the good guys because they're all 'just folks' - dressed in civvies, except for the three astronauts. All the Russians are in military uniform. Draw your own conclusion about Cold War messages.

And it's that fabricated fly-rivalry that forms the only thing passing for a story, secreted as it is among the nooks and crannies of the NASA mission.

There just isn't enough drama, there aren't enough cute characters [little pink maggots notwithstanding singing 'Dad's on the moo-oon!'], and there definitely aren't enough funny, witty, sassy lines. But it's bold and bright, and there are some gorgeous recreations of the view from the moon. I guess that and the thrill of seeing shards of broken glass spinning right for your eye -- I guess that'll shut up the kids for a bit.

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 05/10/2008 18:07:28

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

United States

Posted - 06/10/2008 :  02:22:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Perhaps I'm in the minority - the combination of 3D plus my bifocals gave me a huge <b>headache</b> - especially during parts where there was a bright light in the scene (such as a full moon, or sunset, or spotlights or whatever).

I had to keep my eyes shut periodically for several minutes at a time or I would have had to leave the theater. I first noticed this during the trailer (we saw 3D 'journey to the center of the earth' and it had a 3D trailer for this as well) but I thought that was a fluke.

I agree with the rest of your synopsis, there just wasn't much there. Would have made an OK 30 minute cartoon episode of Jimmy Neutron or something.
Go to Top of Page

Airbolt 
"teil mann, teil maschine"

somewhere

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  13:23:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It's a tough sell to make a fly appealing but they managed to make other insects appealing ( Bugs Life, Ants ). These maggots appear to be the most unappealing anthropomorphed characters ever.

I'm not the only person to find 3D headache-inducing then.

Edited by - Airbolt on 09/10/2008 13:24:54
Go to Top of Page

silly 
"That rabbit's DYNAMITE."

United States

Posted - 09/10/2008 :  18:43:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I suppose I should ad that the 4 young boys I took to see it (my kids and friends) absolutely loved it, they ate it up, kung fu flies and all.

So I guess the movie did the job.

(same kids eagerly awaiting Bolt)
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  05:13:19  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Terrible, terrible film. Horrible anthropomorphism. Boring characters. The 3D was also a big strain for my eyes. I cannot see in 3D but have to wear the glasses in order to block out one of the pictures.

Because the characters and plot were so unengaging, I became very annoyed by technical errors, the worst of which was that the flies first experience weightlessness when they reach the Moon.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000