ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  07:58:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartlivie

Words fail me.

When that happens, I use someone else's words:

Proverbs 24:17 "Do not rejoice when your enemy falls, and do not let your heart be glad when he stumbles." And from the Talmud: "God does not rejoice with the fall of the wicked."

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 03/05/2011 08:13:25
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  16:08:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Don't forget the further words provided at Deuteronomy 19:21 - "Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

Edited by - MguyX on 03/05/2011 16:19:12
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 03/05/2011 :  22:51:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MguyX

Don't forget the further words provided at Deuteronomy 19:21 - "Show no pity: life for life, eye for eye, tooth for tooth, hand for hand, foot for foot."

You forgot "Americaaaaaaa! FUCK YEAH!!!!1!!1!!!"
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  00:47:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops: "Americaaaaaaa! FUCK YEAH!!!!1!!1!!!"

Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  11:25:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I firmly believe he is dead. bin Laden had an uncanny way of releasing photos and videotapes that served to further his path all along. When time fails to come up with a new release, then that will confirm it. Meanwhile, where is the outcry about having a wife as a bullet shield?? Talk about the concept of chattel - let's take my number 5 wife and use her as a bulletproof vest!
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  11:28:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Meanwhile, I offer Anderson Cooper's thoughts on the topic: from Anderson Cooper 360. I found it eloquent and on point and totally appropriate.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  13:30:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wildheartlivie

Meanwhile, where is the outcry about having a wife as a bullet shield?? Talk about the concept of chattel - let's take my number 5 wife and use her as a bulletproof vest!

I think that's because that's been subsequently confirmed to be fiction, along with him supposedly firing at the soldiers. He was unarmed*, and his wife rushed a soldier and she was then shot in the leg.

I'd call it an execution, although that doesn't bother me particularly - if he was pursued as a criminal then his guilt is beyond question as is the fact he's committed capital offenses in numerous jurisdictions so he's been convicted and executed; and if it was war, well fine, he was shot during combat (call that a surgical decapitation of his 'army'). I would actually have preferred him to have spent the rest of his life in prison, that would actually be a punishment unlike a quick bullet to the head. Having said that there's a lot to be said for it being all over and done with quickly. Catharsis etc...

It doesn't look like there was any serious attempt to take him alive. Whatever... There are 7 billion people on earth and he was one too many.

*That's one thing I can't get my head around. Why did he not have a gun? Surely if he wasn't planning on being taken alive then he'd have gone down firing? Or why no underground bunker or panic room? Or perhaps he was planning on being taken alive (I'm sure he'd have liked the huge global audience from a televised US courtroom), but that's not consistent with the apparent resistance by his guards. I don't geddit.
Go to Top of Page

w22dheartlivie 
"Kitty Lover"

United States

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  14:23:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I tend to think it's a complacency thing. With those high walls around the house, it was fairly well secluded and perhaps he just wasn't that much on his guard since he reportedly has lived there for quite a while. In this case, familiarity didn't breed contempt, it bred carelessness. Oh, gee. What a shame.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 04/05/2011 :  22:05:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Trust MguyX to get melodramatic and conveniently select which part of my post he quoted. If he cares to re-read it, he may bother to notice that I prominently stated that it is better that he is dead than free. That doesn't mean that no other option would have been better.

There have been lots of prisoners at Guantanamo Bay that the United States has explicitly admitted were innocent while they were in custody and they were only being held because of their potential intelligence value. They included people who were minors when captured and senile old men. If MguyX can't be bothered to believe those facts then I can't be bothered to convince him. I was quite clear in my post that the main reason they should have at least tried to take him alive was because of his much greater intelligence value. If no one made any attempt to question him then in comparison there is really no point ever capturing any terrorist, let alone innocent people from a targeted region.

And shame on MguyX for listing those victims' names as a way of having a cheap dig at me. Shame on him. If I could list all the victims of the Holocaust it wouldn't for a single second mean that the Nuremberg trials should not have taken place.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  04:57:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You're a self-righteous idiot, Ian, who opens his mouth without thinking, and never with regard to whom you might offend. Everyone hates you and wants you to leave.

Unfortunately, YOU were not on the scene when bin Laden was approached, hence YOU have no fucking idea what happened there, though you spout off as if you are an authority. (But, oh how I wish you had been there, to regale Team Six with your anti-Gitmo arguments ....) While most tempered even their aversion to the death of the weasel, you seized upon boorishness, criticizing the U.S. force that was on the scene based on assumptions you imply as established fact. Unlike me, YOU were never in the military and have NO idea how to read military strategy, hence your continued adherence to the ignorant assumption that there was no effort to capture the West's most wanted murderer. Though, frankly, YOUR assessment of his intelligence value is nil, since you struggle with stringing together either logical or objective observations.

Your complete disregard for the sensibilities of the survivors, victims, their families AND TWO PEOPLE WHOM I KNEW stands, once again, as a testament to your abject tactlessness. Cheap dig? No, motherfucker: sobering reminder that feckless, inartful turds such as you need to keep your ill-informed fatuity to yourself.

Your invocation of the Holocaust is offensive; I wish I could cut off your fingers for typing it. The example runs far afield: unlike you and your salute to bin Laden, I never extolled the caginess or intelligence of Hitler, nor would I sully the memory of those slaughtered millions with complaints about the actions of Mossad or any number of righteous Nazi hunters in bringing those guilty fucks to justice, whether instant or judicial.

quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

If MguyX can't be bothered to believe those facts then I can't be bothered to convince him.
Coward. Again you fail to back up your assertion with reference to a credible source, announcing that the mere statement by yourself should be authority enough. You cannot �be bothered� because you cannot do it. You can't do it because you cannot prove the complete innocence or, alternately, absence of �intelligence value� of people you do not know, who came from a hostile situation you could not even accurately imagine. Minors and the elderly cannot form the intent to kill? An innocent man and a guilty man largely have one thing in common: they both profess innocence. The search for truth is a process, not a blithe assumption that �kids and over 65 eat free.� But I would wager a hefty sum that U.S. forces have not intended as a matter of course or policy to capture and detain a "known innocent."

quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

If I could list all the victims of the Holocaust it wouldn't for a single second mean that the Nuremberg trials should not have taken place.
Bad example; the Gitmo trials are in progress, so the U.S., by analogy, continues to exercise an adherence to the classic tradition of justice and trial by jury. However, if you could make that list, right about the time you got to around 3,000, most non-bigoted people would probably start to feel that a trial seems like a lot of fuss for a guy who boasts about how he happily perpetrated the murder of millions.

Do us a favor: next time you go out of the country to teach English, do it in Yemen, or Somalia.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  07:33:40  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Stop it. It is over. Done with. Finished.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 05/05/2011 :  10:02:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This one needs to be immortalised here:-

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Even though we both speak the same language, it's amazing how there are some subtle differences between American-English and proper English:

They say "sidewalk" we say "pavement"

They say "pants" we say "trousers"

They say "buried at sea" we say "naked and chained to a metal bed frame with a car battery connected to his bollocks whilst being beaten for answers".
Go to Top of Page

BiggerBoat 
"Pass me the harpoon"

London, UK

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  12:19:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Noam Chomsky gives his view

Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 09/05/2011 :  16:41:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Dalai Lama: on the justification of killing bin Laden