New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/06/2011 :  04:05:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so to the fifth instalment of the 'Four Word Film Review' Movie Viewing Club - this round we submit to the will of our esteemed leader Benj. And a fine choice it is too.

From an idea originally suggested by TitanPa, we will choose, view and discuss a new film twice a month - with each new round beginning on the 1st and the 15th.

Everyone is welcome to contribute if you have seen the film in question, and all the better if you have recently seen or have recently rewatched the film. With all films chosen up to a month in advance it will allow those interested in contributing to source and view the film in question, either bought, rented or borrowed on DVD; through a subscription service or simply viewed online. You are also welcome to comment on any previous rounds.

Each film is chosen by fwiffers in the order of initial interest shown on the discussion thread here. If you want to select a future title simply express interest on the thread linked above or drop me a message and I'll add it to the list.

The current line up is as follows:

01.04.11 - TitanPa - TEETH (2007)
15.04.11 - GHCool - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
01.05.11 - demonic - THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928)
15.05.11 - Se�n - MONSTURD (2003)
01.06.11 - benj clews - AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003)
15.06.11 - bife
01.07.11 - Cheese Ed
15.07.11 - [matt]
01.08.11 - wildheartlivie
15.08.11 - ChocolateLady
01.09.11 - BaftaBabe
15.09.11 - Tori
01.10.11 - Randall

There's no commitment to watching and commenting on every movie in every round, but all reviews, comments and contributions will be very welcome from all comers. It goes without saying these threads will be a spoiler-heavy area, and anyone reading posts before viewing the film in question should be fully aware of this.

------------------------------------------

The film under discussion for MVC #5 is "American Splendor", Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini's Oscar nominated biopic of unlikely comic book pioneer Harvey Pekar, starring Paul Giamatti and Hope Davis.

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 04/06/2011 :  09:32:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sounds interesting. Top of my netflix queue now.

Humble request... how about the next few on the list (bife, Cheese_Ed, [matt] etc) get their picks ready well before the next round starts. That will give people time to find them in advance, or plan their downloading ahead of time if they can't find the DVD (some still have a monthly cap, e.g., me).

I can't see any reason why we can't be at least 1-2 movies ahead, and preferably 3-4.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  00:32:13  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Firstly, my favorite review on this site for this film is the under-voted "Harvey Comics" by a reviewer with only 5 reviews named SooperHippie.

American Splendor is a film I have seen several times. I own the DVD and watch it roughly once a year since it first came out. It was a joy once again to revisit the DVD in preparation for this discussion.

The movie has a knack of feeling incredibly simple, but is actually quite complex in its construction. For example, a lot has been said about Paul Giamatti's performance, and rightly so since it is at the heart of the film, but I'm convinced that those who call American Splendor a character study are doing so in error. It is really an ensemble piece crafted so well that it feels simpler than it actually is. Consider the contributions of Hope Davis and Judah Friedlander (both of whom give performances equal to Giamatti's), who disappear into their roles. The same can be said about the entire cast, most of whom I regret I do not know their names. And consider the onscreen presence of the real Harvey, Joyce, and Toby, without whom the film would have not had nearly the color and texture that it has.

The movie does another neat trick by being both faithful to the comics and being an uplifting and original biopic of its own. The screenplay, which weaves reality and fantasy, documentary and animation is build on so many layers that in lesser hands, the film would feel disjointed and confusing, yet the writer/director team of Shari Springer Berman and Robert Pulcini never confuse us.

I love this movie so very much! Thanks Benj for a great pick!

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  11:53:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've yet to sit down and re-re-rewatch Splendor but GHCool just reminded me that guy is Judah Friedlander. Yes, the one with the hats in 30 Rock. That role alone is such a brilliant performance it took me this long to realise who it was playing him!

Chomping at the bit to watch this again now!
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/06/2011 :  15:45:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A pretty flawless labor of love for the filmmakers who've not only understood their subject and brilliantly represented the era as well as the emotions, but have understood what truly matters to tell a true story.

GHCool has mentioned it. Pekar, the interview sequence with the real Pekar, mentions it when asked if he's read the script for the film. He says he's just checked the construction.

For that's what makes this film so uber-special -- given a plethora of special elements.

It's no accident the story of Harvey's life begins with him as a kid rejecting the game-playing of superheroes - the fantasy doughnuts that continually replace real nourishment in our mundane lives.

He celebrated ordinariness and made his fans realize it was and would never be a sin/crime/failing to deny the come-ons of false aspiration. Despite his media acceptance and spreading fame, he couldn't break out of his "smaller" life, nor did he want to, as much as he grumbled about it.

His life was a celebration of grumbling and the film holds our hand as we grumble along, questioning our own lives. And not letting anyone squeeze our hand too tightly.

Thanks bigtime, benj!

Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  00:04:48  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just want to chime in here, though I haven't re-watched it yet. I saw many of Pekar's Letterman appearances the night they were aired. Pekar and Letterman had unforgettable chemistry. It is worth seeking out the clips.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 07/06/2011 :  02:03:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nor have I re-seen it since its final screening at Sundance 2003, but I think I'll give it a re-spin. To my fragile memory, it's of a pair with CRUMB [yes, I do realize that AMERICAN SPLENDOR is not a documentary]. What I mean is that it turns up a famous but concealed life to daylight, partly revelatory, partly squalid. I did like the outre form of SPLENDOR, but, as with CRUMB, it was a real struggle trying to genuinely care about the subject.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 08/06/2011 :  13:07:11  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A couple of hours ago I'd never heard of Harvey Pekar (if I had I'd forgotten about him), hence I made the mistake of not knowing anything about this movie before watching it (that's usually a good idea in a movie). Here, I think the viewer was expected to know it's essentially a biopic with parts played by both the subjects themselves and actors, and perhaps be somewhat familiar with Harvey's life; it probably took me 10 minutes or so to work out what was going on.

No matter, once I got my bearings I liked pretty much everything about it. Harvey was a miserable bastard, but a rather likeable one. I think of him as that guy it would be good to have as an interesting and loyal friend, but in small-ish doses. Giamatti was a great pick for the role (I'm struggling to come up with another actor who could have played him as well), the rest of the cast were also superb.

Naturally I had a quick look at his post-movie life...

RIP Harvey Pekar

Nice pick benj, this was one that I'd missed (no idea why).

8/10
Go to Top of Page

Sean 

New Zealand

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  00:51:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Humble request... how about the next few on the list (bife, Cheese_Ed, [matt] etc) get their picks ready well before the next round starts. That will give people time to find them in advance, or plan their downloading ahead of time if they can't find the DVD (some still have a monthly cap, e.g., me).

I can't see any reason why we can't be at least 1-2 movies ahead, and preferably 3-4.

Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/07/2011 :  11:19:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't have much more to add beyond the praise that has already been given - I really like this film - more so because the protagonist is not very likeable which is a real testament to how talented an actor Paul Giamatti is, and how well written and directed the film is.

Interestingly it's the only "comic book movie" I can think of where employing the comic book style with framed boxes, titles, animated sections etc. really works. It's done in a knowing way, but it's never arch or condescending, there's a real love of the original material and an understanding of how to adapt it interestingly into the movie format. The initial idea never wears thin that this is an ordinary, actually less than ordinary, life expanded to the status of a comic book hero.

The icing on the cake is the contribution of the real Pekar who comments on the film as we watch it - just as his original comic books cut through the bullshit and get to real life ("pretty complex stuff") the film doesn't attempt to pretend we're not watching actors playing real people. Pekar commenting on how Giamatti doesn't look like him, or a shot when the actors come out of character and sit down after a take while the real characters talk in the foreground are delightful.

"If you think reading comics about your life seems strange, try watching a play about it. God only knows how I'll feel when I see this movie." says real Harvey in voiceover.

It's interesting to note that Berman and Pulcini have made several more projects together since "American Splendor" (their debut feature), but having won a slew of awards and an Oscar nomination for this screenplay, none of their subsequent films appear to have made any impact at all. Perhaps they need another Pekar sized personality to fire up their creative motors again.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 01/08/2011 :  14:33:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've already asked for CITIZEN KANE and hereby repeat it if that helps anything.

I agree with the only-movie-where-comics-paneling-actually-helps point of view, because the original comic only used the form ironically to depict the serrated mundanity of everyday life, particularly that of a borderline-unhinged person. The comic-panel opticals serve the same purpose in the film. Harvey Pekar is the original anti-superhero, and even glossy film actors [face it, the scruffy Giamatti himself is still an extremely well-bathed version of Pekar, and Hope Davis is a relative goddess] can't elevate the ennui. This would have been better as a documentary, which it almost is, but the fact that it exists as a feature is a small miracle.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000