Posted - 24/01/2012 :  17:43:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Best Picture
What Should Win: EXTREMELY LOUD & INCREDIBLY CLOSE
What Shouldn't Win: Hugo
What Was Snubbed: Harry Potter

Best Actor
What Should Win: George Clooney
What Shouldn't Win: Jean Dujardin
What Was Snubbed: THOMAS HORN (Extremely Loud)

Best Actress
What Should Win: Michelle Williams
What Shouldn't Win: Rooney Mara
What Was Snubbed: CHARLIZE THERON

Best Supporting Actor
What Should Win: Max von Sydow
What Shouldn't Win: Jonah Hill
What Was Snubbed: BRAD PITT (Tree of Life)

Best Director
What Should Win: Woody Allen
What Shouldn't Win: Michel Hazanavicius
What Was Snubbed: STEPHEN DALDRY (Extremely Loud)

Best Original Screenplay
What Should Win: MIDNIGHT IN PARIS
What Shouldn't Win: The Artist
What Was Snubbed: Tree of Life

Best Adapted Screenplay
What Should Win: Moneyball
What Was Snubbed: EXTREMELY LOUD

Best Cinematography
What Should Win: WAR HORSE
What Was Snubbed: Moneyball

Best Art Direction
What Was Snubbed: Immortals

Best Film Editing
What Should Win: Girl with the Dragon Tattoo

Best Music (Original Score)
What Should Win: The Artist

Best Sound Editing and Best Sound Mixing
What Was Snubbed: Extremely Loud

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 24/01/2012 :  21:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops, cool, you skipped Supporting Actress, one of the more interesting categories this year:

B�r�nice Bejo in THE ARTIST -- what, she's SUPPORTING? Could be a tough competitor, because...

Jessica Chastain in THE HELP, who was in every other movie this year and will get many more noms, has to compete with the showier Octavia Spencer. Split vote, the win going to Bejo?

Melissa McCarthy in BRIDESMAIDS. It's an honor just to be nominated, and she stole every scene she was in, but it's a light comedy. If she wins, it'll be one of those periodic amazements.

Janet McTeer in ALBERT NOBBS. Haven't seen it, so like Bill Murray in those great 70s SNL appearances, I throw the card away.

Octavia Spencer in THE HELP. See above. But my money's still on her.

What fun!

P.S. I agree with you that THE TREE OF LIFE received short shrift in general, but hey: it was just too hip for the room.

Edited by - randall on 24/01/2012 21:52:53
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  01:39:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't know about you guys but it's still pissing me off that the academy are still peddling the extended Best Picture nominations - for one thing it's perfectly clear looking at the rest of the nominations which films wouldn't have made the cut if it were still the sensible short list of five, and it devalues the films that clearly deserve the nomination. Moneyball? A best picture of the year? Midnight in Paris? Really? And if those, why not round it up to ten and include Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy - clearly one of the best films of the year. Or Girl With The Dragon Tattoo for that matter. Personally I thought "Hugo" was extremely lightweight, and extremely average, but I'm not surprised that the Oscars are wetting themselves over it.

Generally it would be a strange thing for a Director/Film combination not to occur, although it does happen. Going by that then Hugo, Midnight in Paris, The Artist, Tree of Life and The Descendants would probably be the five best picture nominees this year, with the other four scraping in. Personally I'd love to see Terrence Malick take the Best Director (and Best Film - why not? It'd certainly annoy a lot of people who were tricked into going to see an arthouse movie that they actually had to think about... ) if only to see if he'd get up and accept it. Who am I kidding; he won't be there.

Some obvious snubs or at least bizarre omissions - Michael Fassbender should be nominated for "Shame" - there's absolutely no debate about that. He would have had a damn good chance of winning it too. Interesting that DiCaprio and Ryan Gosling got left out, but not too surprised.

Similarly Kirsten Dunst for "Melancholia" - awesome performance, horribly neglected. I'm reading some discontent online about Tilda Swinton and Charlize Theron not getting nods.

Thankfully "Cars 2" didn't get a nomination just because it was made by Pixar. I hope "Rango" can take it.

Really very interesting in the Best Song category too - could the snub be any clearer when only two songs are deemed worthy to be in competition. Too bad Madonna.

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  02:01:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I dig, I dig, and just because HUGO [which I loved] got a lot of noms means nothing. Remember the remake of TRUE GRIT? All those noms were meant to show some love, and it went away w/o a single Oscar.

However, you're dead wrong about MIDNIGHT IN PARIS. That one required skill in writing, directing, producing, casting, editing, etc etc. There were others that nobody saw that should have been in the top ten: TAKE SHELTER, for example. But perversely, I don't mind the fact that more pix can say, "Oscar nominee." The only animated pic worthy of the statue this year is RANGO. And that's all I know.

Edited by - randall on 25/01/2012 02:02:09
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  08:44:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to agree about "Tree of Live" being snubbed, but you are right - it was too cool for the room. I also agree with randall's assessment of "Midnight in Paris" which I found to be not only fun, but beautifully done. I'd even go as far as to say that it is a better film all around than "Annie Hall", making it possibly Woody's masterpiece.

As for "Cars 2", well... "Cars" was clearly Pixar's poorest effort, so I didn't even bother to see the sequel. Sure, kids like them, but the academy knows that as far as films go, it wasn't anywhere near as good any of the "Toy Story" films.

What GH has against "The Artist" is beyond me, by the way. I loved the film and think it deserves recognition - especially in the age of 3D films getting far more recognition than they deserve. Mind you, I understand that "Hugo" is the exception to that rule - but since I haven't seen it, I can't say for certain.

As for Supporting Actor - I'm sure the award will go to Plummer, but that's fine by me. I loved that film and am sorry it didn't get anything more than just this one nomination.

One question, GH - what was Charlize Theron in that you think she should have been nominated for?

(As an aside, the IMDb daily vote today is who do we think deserves Best Supporting Actress. After my vote, 31.2% are for Melissa McCarthy (who I must agree, stole that film - but in the best possible way) and 27.4% for B�r�nice Bejo, with the two actresses from "The Help" trailing them both.)

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 25/01/2012 08:58:42
Go to Top of Page

Wheelz 
"FWFR%u2019ing like it%u2019s 1999"

United States

Posted - 25/01/2012 :  16:47:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Interesting list of Best Picture nominees this year. I saw 3 films in 2011 that I thought might get a BP nod: Midnight in Paris, Moneyball, and The Ides of March. Of these, I actually thought Ides of March had the best chance. Shows what I know.

I haven't really had my ear to the ground for the pre-nomination buzz, but The Artist and The Descendants are not at all surprising coming off their Golden Globe wins. I wasn't sure whether to expect Hugo to be on the list or not, but it seems there's always at least one "whimsical" (for lack of a better term) nominee since they expanded the category.

Each year I attend the AMC theaters Best Picture showcase and see all the nominees before the Awards. I was kind of hoping for My Week With Marilyn and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy and may try to see those on my own. I'm sort of not looking forward to Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close or War Horse -- they may very well be excellent films, but don't really seem like my cup of tea. Then again, I really liked Atonement after thinking I wouldn't. And I sat through Precious, so I guess I can endure anything. I know almost nothing about The Tree of Life (and hope to keep it that way until I see it), and am really anxious to see or re-see all the others.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000