Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 20/11/2010 :  23:25:58  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Devil

Typical latterday Shyamalan fare: a good scenario which is then spoilt by a lame supernatural explanation. (I don't think that's actually a spoiler, but just in case.)

3/5

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  22:20:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
However, almost saved by a nice claustrophobic middle :40.

P.S.: The suspect -- can't give too much out here -- was obvious from :20 before that, due to stereotypical characterizations which approached "cartoonlike." Night has officially lost his touch. Though I'm one of the few who did enjoy THE VILLAGE.

Edited by - randall on 19/01/2012 22:24:36
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 19/01/2012 :  23:21:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I really liked The Village Randall. It helped that Bryce Dallas Howard was particularly good and believable, along with Adrien Brody and Joaquin Phoenix. I thought the atmosphere was exceptional, and the "twist" was actually a rather clever double one that most people didn't bother to consider... we discover that we are watching a film set in the present day, fine, but the extra twist is that the creatures in the woods might actually be real after all (as stated by William Hurt's character they were based on actual stories of the woods) as she is stalked in a particularly good sequence. I love the soundtrack as well.

As for Devil - I didn't expect much, and I thought it was very well done and not at all obvious turns. Of course it's all a bit silly, but far better written than much of the PG13 horror fare of recent times. I'm not sure how anyone would guess which of the five the killer is given what happens in the film - it certainly kept me guessing. I'll probably watch it again at some point.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 20/01/2012 :  21:29:52  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I only meant that while watching DEVIL, my spider-sense tingled the first time I saw a certain character, and I ain't been bitten by no radioactive spider...

THE VILLAGE has many, many, many probs. Yes. But I *loved it*, and have watched it several times again, even knowing its big surprise. I disagree with your inviso-notion [you could be right, I simply disagree].

I watch Fincher's THE GAME over and over again for the same reason: I know everything to come, but it's still *lovely*! [How can they possibly get him to fall at this exact spot? SHUT UP!]
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 21/01/2012 :  01:54:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randall

I only meant that while watching DEVIL, my spider-sense tingled the first time I saw a certain character, and I ain't been bitten by no radioactive spider...

Interesting! Then I greatly admire your spider sense.

quote:
[How can they possibly get him to fall at this exact spot? SHUT UP!]

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 21/01/2012 :  15:29:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

quote:
Originally posted by randall

Interesting! Then I greatly admire your spider sense.

quote:
[How can they possibly get him to fall at this exact spot? SHUT UP!]

Re DEVIL, yes, they did fake me out at one point. But my spider sense kept tingling!

Re THE GAME, how DID they anticipate that precise spot? [randall, I told you before: SHUT UP!]
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000