Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 54

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 09/10/2004 :  23:27:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I've made the same mistake, so I can appreciate this one, but Julie doffs her shirt in S.O.B., not "10".

Edited by - randall on 09/10/2004 23:28:17

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  01:22:59  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Randall shoots and scores -- he is absolutely right -- the movie was "S.O.B.", not "10".

As Sam Cook crooned, and I'm sure, "A change gonna come." Good eye Rand man!

Go to Top of Page

Conan The Westy 
"Father, Faithful Friend, Fwiffer"

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  01:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe Benj could transfer it.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  01:54:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Randall

I've made the same mistake, so I can appreciate this one, but Julie doffs her shirt in S.O.B., not "10".

Fixed.

Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  01:59:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Similar mistake here: http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=4050

Jimi played his "guitar anthem" at Woodstock, not Monterey Pop (I think it was the final performance of the festival).

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  02:13:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
'Gnaws' doesn't begin with a K, benj. You may of course be making some clever pun that I do not get.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  11:25:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Salopian

'Gnaws' doesn't begin with a K, benj. You may of course be making some clever pun that I do not get.

Where are we talking about here?

Go to Top of Page

bife 
"Winners never quit ... fwfr ... "

Singapore

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  11:29:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

i think he means this one: Goat knaws at Bush

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 10/10/2004 :  13:17:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bife

quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:

i think he means this one: Goat knaws at Bush

Ooops- ta'. Fixed now.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  01:44:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the Girls Just Want To Have Fun page, Sarah Jessica Parker is referred to as 'Sarah-Jessica' and 'Jessica-Parker'. I am virtually certain that 'Jessica' is a given name of hers, thus 'Jessica Parker' and especially 'Jessica-Parker' are wrong. It is also not hyphenated with 'Sarah'. In the first review, the word count will allow the proper space to be there, anyway. (Having said that, this is still like saying 'Haley Joel' or 'Michael J.', which is rather peculiar.)

Go to Top of Page

LPH 
"Cusack Loving Film Addict"

USA

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  03:31:03  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

On the Girls Just Want To Have Fun page, Sarah Jessica Parker is referred to as 'Sarah-Jessica' and 'Jessica-Parker'. I am virtually certain that 'Jessica' is a given name of hers, thus 'Jessica Parker' and especially 'Jessica-Parker' are wrong. It is also not hyphenated with 'Sarah'. In the first review, the word count will allow the proper space to be there, anyway. (Having said that, this is still like saying 'Haley Joel' or 'Michael J.', which is rather peculiar.)

Actually I'm not sure it is like saying Michael J. While it's true in the instance of Michael J. Fox people always call him "Michael J. Fox" or, "Michael" or "Mike" but not Michael J. On the other hand Sarah Jessica Parker is always referred to as "Sarah Jessica Parker" or "Sarah Jessica", but never "Sarah" or "Jessica" alone. Although it seems unusual with the two names Sarah Jessica, it is virtually 1 first name composed of two names much in the way a girl named Bobby Jo might always be referred to as "Bobby Jo". Like Mary Kate Olsen, I never hear anyone ever call her "Mary", it's always "Mary Kate". Haley Joel I'm less sure of. I might have heard him referred to as "Haley" before, but normally it's always "Haley Joel" (maybe because Haley is such a girly name, you need that Joel in there to qualify it). As far as the reviews on that page, I don't necessarily have much of an opinion, as I still know who the person is referring to when they say "Jessica Parker" but technically, that's probably an incorrect way of referring to her.

What about nicknames though? I mean people often call De Niro "Bob" or "Bobby" but he's never credited that way.

LPH

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  05:18:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by LPH

Actually I'm not sure it is like saying Michael J. While it's true in the instance of Michael J. Fox people always call him "Michael J. Fox" or, "Michael" or "Mike" but not Michael J. On the other hand Sarah Jessica Parker is always referred to as "Sarah Jessica Parker" or "Sarah Jessica", but never "Sarah" or "Jessica" alone. Although it seems unusual with the two names Sarah Jessica, it is virtually 1 first name composed of two names much in the way a girl named Bobby Jo might always be referred to as "Bobby Jo". Like Mary Kate Olsen, I never hear anyone ever call her "Mary", it's always "Mary Kate". Haley Joel I'm less sure of. I might have heard him referred to as "Haley" before, but normally it's always "Haley Joel" (maybe because Haley is such a girly name, you need that Joel in there to qualify it). As far as the reviews on that page, I don't necessarily have much of an opinion, as I still know who the person is referring to when they say "Jessica Parker" but technically, that's probably an incorrect way of referring to her.

What about nicknames though? I mean people often call De Niro "Bob" or "Bobby" but he's never credited that way.

O.K., I concede on this one. To be honest, I have only ever heard her called 'Sarah Jessica Parker', so I didn't know whether it were 'Sarah' or 'Sarah Jessica'. Similarly, I don't know about Haley Joel Osment or e.g. Sarah Michelle Gellar. You are indeed certainly correct about Mary Kate Olsen. I didn't mean to suggest that if a pair of names were not hyphenated then they could not function as the form one should use for a person. It just didn't occur to me that S.J.P. were such a person. I am man enough admit when I have been wrong or in ignorance. Nevertheless, it is still not 'Sarah-Jessica', so the hyphen should be removed. (The review can afford this.) In the other case, I suggest that it should be changed to 'Parker'. That may be less obvious, but it is quite normal here to just use someone's surname.

Nicknames should definitely be fine. It is well known that Robert De Niro goes by Bob(by), so that is a perfectly valid name to use for him.

Edited by - SixFourian on 11/10/2004 05:24:42
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  05:30:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I have to stick with the rules of grammar and usage on this one. Neither "Sarah-Jessica" nor "Jessica-Parker" would be correct and here's why. The ONLY time a proper name gets hyphenated is when the person who owns the name uses a hyphen. Traditionally, some people highlight the fact that they prefer to be called by the double name by adding the hyphen, but often they forego it (apparently not caring that the addition of a hypen would otherwise help many an fwfr reviewer, hence we again witness first hand the selfishness and inhospitality of the entertainment elite). Also, many women who adopt the surname of a spouse will affix the surname to their own birth surname with a hyphen.

In the present example, Sarah Jessica Parker does neither. "Sarah Jessica" is two words. "Sarah-Jessica" is incorrect because she does not punctuate her name that way. "Jessica-Parker" is incorrect because she does not punctuate her name that way and she has not affixed "Parker" to a prior surname of "Jessica" -- it is a middle name only. Accordingly, the "Jessica-Parker" review is actually five words and hence a violation, notwithstanding that it may enhance the recognizability of the review in the "What Film" bubble. I dare say that a short essay would do the same, but again, we have only four words with which to work. The "Sarah-Jessica" review is just punctuated incorrectly.

As far as abbreviations go, the same general thoughts apply. Absent a legitimate hyphen, a name and an initial must be considered two words. As for nicknames, I don't understand the query: if people recognize it, great, but that doesn't seem to bear on whether it constitutes a multiple or compound word. It is what "it-is".

Still miss me?

Edited by - MguyX on 11/10/2004 05:49:39
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  05:40:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Thank you for being so correct.

Edited by - SixFourian on 11/10/2004 05:59:33
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  05:47:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Oops! Well that's what I get: you are so correct Sal. What I meant to say is that the "Jessica-Parker" review is a violation, and the "Sarah-Jessica" review is incorrectly punctuated. And just to confuse people, I will revise my post but still leave this confession of fallability.

Thanks Sal for allowing me at least to save half-face.

Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 11/10/2004 :  09:45:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Downtown, you know I love you buddy, but your review for "Return of the Living Dead" is wrong. The review ("Wherefore art thou Romero") clearly and cleverly intends to invoke the pathos and sorrow of Juliet's pining for Romeo, playing on the verisimilitude of Romeo and Romero. Except the question is wrong. It's clear that you intend to say something in the vein of "Where is Romero", suggesting a criticism of the sequel. The problem, as I have explained before, is that "wherefore" does not mean "where": it means why. In that regard, I quote from a post of sometime last year:

I just voted for Evil G's fwfr of William Shakespeare's Romeo + Juliet. I thought it [the review] was funny, it's got that modernized flair to it, plus it echos a popular phrase from current commercials for Boost mobile phones. Thumbs up!

Nonetheless, I just have to make this observation. Many people inadvertently misunderstand the famous phrase/question:

"Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo."

"Wherefore" means "why," not "where." It's an archaic word and finds a loose parallel in the still-used phrase "how come" (which phrase amuses me even more, since one typically would associate "how come" with a more casual manner of speech when its origin comes from an older, more refined type of speech, as in "how come these things to such an end?")

When Juliet asks the question, she's not asking where her young lover is: she poses the ontological question "why are you Romeo," or, more specifically, "why are you a Montague" as in "why did I have to fall in love with a guy from precisely the wrong family?"

But, Evil G's review is still funny. You should vote for it (even though, technically, "Romeo ... why you be?" might be literally closer to the original phrase.)

In Evil G's case, there was cause to overlook the error. Indeed, in retrospect, I might even have argued that the error was appropos, given the tendency of today's slang culture to cannibalize the language without regard to classic or classical structure and meaning. At present, however, the functional equivalent of "Why are you Romero" does not really do anything; nor, unfortunately, does it relate to the film in question. I imagine, however, that a couple punctuation marks like "Where(fore) art thou Romero" would accomplish something in the vein of accuracy while preserving the intent.

Of course, I don't approve the reviews around here and I didn't write it, so you guys do what you want. I'm just making an observation so the young 'uns around here don't go astray and start hanging out in pool halls paraphrasing Shakespeare incorrectly.

Edited by - MguyX on 11/10/2004 09:48:34
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 54 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000