Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  10:59:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Am I the only one who's experiencing extraordinarily long page loads on fwfr.com?

I've checked on all the following browsers: IE, Firefox, Opera, and Chrome [default] - all latest versions via Windows7 on a PC. Same deal.

No other sites are affected.

benj - is it just server overload or a personal vendetta - wait, I think I heard a noise - uh-oh, was that a mafia baretta - or - oh, noooooooooooo - they plugged me, ma - daisy, daisy, givmmeawf pbo;klvc

Seriously, tho - wuzzup? Bigtime TIA

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  16:28:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This has been the case with me as well for at least ten days.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  18:51:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For a while now I've been concerned about the speed of the site. Believe it or not, it's blazingly fast running off my development machine, but I put it live and it's remarkably slow. Except occasionally when it runs fine.

I suspect that, since we're running off a shared server and the speed of the site varies quite a bit at seemingly random times, there's another site on this server that gets power hungry from time to time.

It's coming up to renewal time for the fwfr hosting and I'm looking into other hosting options now. Obviously, there'll be some downtime if I have to go elsewhere but that's a small price to pay if I can get the speed consistent and approaching what I know it should be.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  18:59:16  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

For a while now I've been concerned about the speed of the site. Believe it or not, it's blazingly fast running off my development machine, but I put it live and it's remarkably slow. Except occasionally when it runs fine.

I suspect that, since we're running off a shared server and the speed of the site varies quite a bit at seemingly random times, there's another site on this server that gets power hungry from time to time.

It's coming up to renewal time for the fwfr hosting and I'm looking into other hosting options now. Obviously, there'll be some downtime if I have to go elsewhere but that's a small price to pay if I can get the speed consistent and approaching what I know it should be.

- benj the star, as always. BTW - do you know arvixe?

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  19:04:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

BTW - do you know arvixe?

First I've heard of them. Just checking what they offer now. Ideally I'd like root access to the (virtual) server (which they don't appear to offer) but I might be able to get away without that luxury.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 30/01/2014 :  17:34:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Verrrry slow at time of this post!
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 30/01/2014 :  18:08:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Verrrry slow at time of this post!

Agreed.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  12:29:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Is that the main site, fourum or both?
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  14:00:37  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
For me, it's mostly getting to the home page and to My fwfr, although the fourum is somewhat slow, too. Same problem whether using fwxr or fwfr.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  14:30:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Things not so bad as of this moment. I usually use main site.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  16:05:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
BIGTIME slow for me [here in UK] all day - both main site and 4UM! Grrrr. So frustrating.

Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/01/2014 :  16:41:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, well believe it or not, it's a *good* sign that all parts of the site are slow (can't just put it down to my dodgy code if it also affects the fourum).

I'm actively seeking out other hosting options. Bear with me- I'll likely be back here at some point in the coming weeks with alternate URLs for you to check out the performance on.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  20:34:36  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The speed doesn't bother me. I've only got a netbook so it's quite slow in general: I haven't noticed any particular problem here.

Fine to change host if it helps other people, of course, but the preferable option would be to have any downtime after F.Y.C.T.H. 1,000.
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 01/02/2014 :  22:26:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Benj, my host is in Denver CO and I have plenty of space if you want to mirror or give it a test run there.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  11:47:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Sludge

quote:

Benj, my host is in Denver CO and I have plenty of space if you want to mirror or give it a test run there.

Cheers, although it'd obviously depend on what kind of servers they're running there and the software on it. Also, one of the options I'm currently looking at is free for the first month and with no set-up or cancellation fee so it costs me nothing to give that a shot. Certainly, I'll let you know if things don't pan out there and I need another place to test though
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  12:25:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Also, one of the options I'm currently looking at is free for the first month and with no set-up or cancellation fee so it costs me nothing to give that a shot. Certainly, I'll let you know if things don't pan out there and I need another place to test though

Hi again - I'd love you to re-consider cpHosting.com which I've been using for myself and various web clients for many years. I know when you last checked, they were too pricey for your needs. But - and I get NO benefits from touting them! - speed and server/space issues are really well catered for. I pay slightly extra for a bespoke mail server, and can get root access for my domains. Plus their team is super well informed and available 24/7. They've recently acquired a chat online facility, which has saved my ass a couple of times already. They're based in Mumbai, but have distributive servers in New Jersey and, I think, Texas, too.

I suspect many of us would be willing to make up the difference in price from what you currently spend, just to guarantee a smooth-running, fast and efficient site behaviour. Wotcha reckon?

Love
BB xx

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 03/02/2014 12:26:41
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000