Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 10

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  13:48:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 14 - a movie that no one would expect you to love

South Park I guess, if they didn't really know me - and perhaps on a double bill with Mars Attacks!

Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  18:28:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 14 - a movie that no one would expect you to love

The Wiz, the Diana Ross 1970s African American version of The Wizard of Oz directed by Sidney Lumet.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 
"Larry's time / sat merrily"

Posted - 24/02/2011 :  23:41:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Day 14 - A movie that no one would expect you to love:

Truth or Dare

I'm not a big Madonna fan, but I found this glimpse into her life fascinating.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  13:00:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 15 - A movie that describes you:

Bigger than the Sky, a film about community theatre actors. I'm in there somewhere.
Go to Top of Page

Chris C 
"Four words, never backwards."

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  13:07:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 15 - A movie that describes you:

Big.

How often it is that I feel like a small(ish) person in a big world. I don't wanna work, I wanna play...
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  14:15:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 15 - A movie that describes you

Man With A Movie Camera by Dziga Vertov [1929] because it's a film entirely about process, and that's one of the key elements that defines me.

In a world all about results, I believe we've lost sight of The Process of life. Vertov's witty, sometimes hilarious, gorgeous, and incisive documentary captures nothing but. If I could be transformed into a film, I'd choose this one.

It's on YouTube if You want to Tube it!

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 25/02/2011 14:33:50
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 25/02/2011 :  20:34:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 15 - a movie that describes you

Some times I feel like American Splendor describes me.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 26/02/2011 :  23:11:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 16 - A movie that you used to love but now hate:

Police Academy

Believe it or not, I very much liked the original Police Academy movie -- laughed out loud quite a few times. Then, after seeing the increasingly disappointing sequels, I viewed the original again. It sucks.
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  10:13:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 14 - a movie that no one would expect you to love � I'm terribly predictable and I can't think that I could pick any film for this category that most people wouldn't say "yeah, I knew you'd like that". But seeing as this one isn't in a genre I generally watch (and in fact, prefer to avoid), I'll go with The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence.

day 15 - a movie that describes you � Norma Rae � what can I say, I�m a woman who will fight to the death for something I believe is right.

day 16 - a movie that you used to love but now hate � Chicken Run � this is a lesson in how to ruin an excellent claymation film by using the voice of Hollywood�s most despised actors in the lead role. In truth, I didn't love it when I first saw it, but I did like it. But the more I thought about it, the less I liked the whole concept, including the parallels between this and Nazi concentration camps. By then I was just turned off by it but when Mel started showing his true colours in public, this film really started to piss me off and now as a whole package, this film disgusts me no end.

day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD � Some Like it Hot � they show it on TV (TCM, usually) and whenever its on, I'll watch it. They put it on so much I've never gotten around to buying it on DVD, but I really should, just in case.

Edited by - ChocolateLady on 27/02/2011 14:16:25
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  12:50:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 16 - A movie that you used to love but now hate

Tough - usually if I like it, I like it, if I don't, I don't.

But wait -- maybe Glen or Glenda. I think when I fist saw it I was caught up in the campy kitchness of it, but while I wouldn't say I hate it exactly it's quite terrible film even by Ed Wood standards. But there remains those evocative shots where he divides the screen into two horizontal bands with Bela Lugosi as a strange kind of god figure called The Scientist looming over the more mundane action below. I still like that!

Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  17:19:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
day 16 - a movie that you used to love but now hate

Difficult one, and I can't think of any right now. Like BB said, "If I like it, I like it, if I don't, I don't."
I'll revisit this.

day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD

The Matrix.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  17:37:09  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD

Hmm - I tend not to watch films on TV and with the amount of stuff I need to get through it's rare I'll re-visit much if anything. But, as I posted elsewhere, recently I was flicking through channels and just had to re-watch WALL-E. So, if I can redefine "often" to mean see it again ... oh dearie me - my life doesn't seem to fit so neatly into this game.

So sue me!

Go to Top of Page

Chris C 

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  18:03:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD

Hmm - I tend not to watch films on TV and with the amount of stuff I need to get through it's rare I'll re-visit much if anything. But, as I posted elsewhere, recently I was flicking through channels and just had to re-watch WALL-E. So, if I can redefine "often" to mean see it again ... oh dearie me - my life doesn't seem to fit so neatly into this game.

So sue me!

It is what it is.

P.S. I like your day 14 choices. Knowing you, I'm not surprised.
Go to Top of Page

Larry 

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  18:09:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Day 17 - A movie that you often see on TV/DVD:

Chicago

It's been a regular in the Starz/Encore cable package lately and I can't go by it without watching it again. I guess I've watched it (or large chunks of it) about five times in the past two months.

Edited by - Larry on 28/02/2011 01:07:05
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 27/02/2011 :  18:59:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ChocolateLady

day 16 - a movie that you used to love but now hate � Chicken Run � this is a lesson in how to ruin an excellent claymation film by using the voice of Hollywood�s most despised actors in the lead role. In truth, I didn't love it when I first saw it, but I did like it. But the more I thought about it, the less I liked the whole concept, including the parallels between this and Nazi concentration camps. By then I was just turned off by it but when Mel started showing his true colours in public, this film really started to piss me off and now as a whole package, this film disgusts me no end.

To be fair, Chicken Run is an homage to The Great Escape and other films taking place in Axis prisoner of war camps. I don't think the Holocaust was the parallel the filmmakers intended their audience to make.

day 17 - a movie that you often see on TV/DVD

I'll go with an obvious one: Star Wars; though I don't think I've watched it all the way through for about 2 years.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 10 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000