New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  12:33:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And for your delighted viewing pleasure we move on to the sixth instalment of the 'Four Word Film Review' Movie Viewing Club.

From an idea originally suggested by TitanPa, we will choose, view and discuss a new film twice a month - with each new round beginning on the 1st and the 15th.

Everyone is welcome to contribute if you have seen the film in question, and all the better if you have recently seen or have recently rewatched the film. With all films chosen up to a month in advance it will allow those interested in contributing to source and view the film in question, either bought, rented or borrowed on DVD; through a subscription service or simply viewed online. You are also welcome to comment on any previous rounds.

Each film is chosen by fwiffers in the order of initial interest shown on the discussion thread here. If you want to select a future title simply express interest on the thread linked above or drop me a message and I'll add it to the list.

The current line up is as follows:

01.04.11 - TitanPa - TEETH (2007)
15.04.11 - GHCool - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
01.05.11 - demonic - THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928)
15.05.11 - Se�n - MONSTURD (2003)
01.06.11 - benj clews - AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003)
15.06.11 - bife - TURKISH DELIGHT (1973)
01.07.11 - Cheese Ed - ALPHAVILLE (1965)
15.07.11 - [matt]
01.08.11 - wildheartlivie
15.08.11 - ChocolateLady
01.09.11 - BaftaBabe
15.09.11 - Tori
01.10.11 - Randall

There's no commitment to watching and commenting on every movie in every round, but all reviews, comments and contributions will be very welcome from all comers. It goes without saying these threads will be a spoiler-heavy area, and anyone reading posts before viewing the film in question should be fully aware of this.

------------------------------------------

The film under discussion for MVC #6 is "Turkish Delight", (or Turks Fruit in the original Dutch) Paul Verhoeven's first feature starring Rutger Hauer and Monique van de Ven. Delightful. Also fruity. But not Turkish.

rabid kazook 
"Pushing the antelope"

Posted - 17/06/2011 :  22:21:28  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

Paul Verhoeven's first feature starring Rutger Hauer and Monique van de Ven. Delightful. Also fruity. But not Turkish.

I don't know is it that.? I guess some arthouse buffs can find it delightful, but it's too modern and too 200 km/h for me to call it. It was one of those "hard-shelled" for me, and at the end I didn't really like it or really dislike it. The aesthetic is very good; similar to some German films (about the same time)

Edited by - rabid kazook on 17/06/2011 22:36:34
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 18/06/2011 :  00:29:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You've got me there Zooks - I've not watched it yet, just riffing on the title... I'll let you know if I do find it delightful. I must admit it's not usually a word that applies to Verhoeven's films.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 21/06/2011 :  03:00:02  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw it last night. Essentially it's one of those 'dysfunctional relationship' movies from that era; libertine misfit and emotionally-immature much-younger girl. Not much happens other than their relationship, i.e., there's no larger plot backdrop. I guess this lack of a broad plot meant I wasn't as enthralled as I was with e.g., Antonioni's The Passenger.

There was plenty of sex and full-frontal nudity as might be expected, although I felt somewhat queasy when he picked that turd out of the toilet bowl... I got the feeling from the beginning that there was not going to be a happy ending; Hauer's hedonistic nihilism was never going to be compatible with eternal marital bliss.

I was left kinda wondering what the point in the movie was, i.e., it wasn't fun, or funny, or enlightening, or feel-good. Could it be that the point was to show that a relationship that's so obviously doomed is in fact.... doomed?

7/10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000