New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  21:05:05  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just adored this production, Gore Verbinski's directorial wit, and the full technological and cartoon-loving force of ILM on their first post-Pixar CGI feature.

Yep, it's the PG-rated [I get from the end credits that one of the major on-screen transgressions was smoking, but this is a frickin Western, folks!] feature starring Johnny Depp and a galaxy of other vocal heavy hitters. The script is whip-smart. The cheerful 'tude is the equal of Pixar. And the look is cinematically gorgeous: the magnificent live-action DP Roger Deakins is even credited as a "consultant," for a frickin CGI piece! [With a full card, indicating that he was actually on set for a while.]

Plus, the voice work in general is beyond superb, approaching but obviously not attaining perfection: I heard that ILM made the actors actually perform with each other instead of blabbing into discrete booths. Ned Beatty in particular is heroic, and Timothy Olyphant delivers the best take on a certain iconic movie star that I've ever heard.

I loved it. Try it out some night when you need some reassurance that there are still dedicated people working in the movies, rather than armies of drones cranking out the latest 3-D effluvia. By the way: RANGO is not available in 3-D, d00dz. The filmmakers packed everything they had into 2 Ds.

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 06/08/2011 :  22:39:34  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by randall

I just adored this production, Gore Verbinski's directorial wit, and the full technological and cartoon-loving force of ILM on their first post-Pixar CGI feature.

And ... there was my take back a few months ...

Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 07/08/2011 :  07:18:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sorry, I looked for it and thought I had gone back far enough.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000