New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  01:23:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Apologies for the late start - waiting on a selection, we've skipped on to the next previously selected title on the list - and we come to the ninth installment of the 'Four Word Film Review' Movie Viewing Club...

From an idea originally suggested by TitanPa, we choose, view and discuss a new film twice a month - with each new round beginning on the 1st and the 15th.

Everyone is welcome to contribute if you have seen the film in question, and all the better if you have recently seen or rewatched the film. With all films chosen up to a month in advance it will allow those interested in contributing to source and view the film in question, either bought, rented or borrowed on DVD; through a subscription service or simply viewed online. You are also welcome to comment on any previous rounds at any time.

Each film is chosen by fwiffers in the order of initial interest shown on the discussion thread here. If you want to select a future title simply express interest on the thread linked above or send demonic or Se�n a message and we'll add it to the list.

The current line up is as follows:

01.04.11 - TitanPa - TEETH (2007)
15.04.11 - GHCool - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
01.05.11 - demonic - THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928)
15.05.11 - Se�n - MONSTURD (2003)
01.06.11 - benj clews - AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003)
15.06.11 - bife - TURKISH DELIGHT (1973)
01.07.11 - Cheese Ed - ALPHAVILLE (1965)
15.07.11 - [matt] - A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT (2004)
01.08.11 - ChocolateLady - BAGDAD CAFE (1987)
15.08.11 - BaftaBabe - WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE (1993)
01.09.11 - Tori -
15.09.11 - Randall - CITIZEN KANE (1941)

There's no commitment to watching and commenting on every round, but all reviews, comments and contributions will be very welcome from all comers. It goes without saying these threads will be a spoiler-heavy area, and anyone reading posts before viewing the film in question should be fully aware of this.

------------------------------------------

The film under discussion for MVC #9 is Percy Aldon's "Bagdad Cafe" as selected by Chocolate Lady. Starring Marianne S�gebrecht,
CCH Pounder and Jack Palance - it's a rarely seen but much loved comedy drama from the 80s which inspired a following television series. Grab a coffee and get stuck in.

Edited by - demonic on 05/08/2011 01:24:44

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 05/08/2011 :  14:46:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What I most remember is the sheer exuberance of Marianne S�gebrecht. She proves, as if it needs proof, that unexpected charm wrapped in an unlikely physical package, and a vulnerability portrayed by an actress of depth, can wipe out expectations of what an audience will/won't respond to.

Writer/director Adlon transcends his theatrical roots with a touching tale that fills the desert screen.

Good to know that S�gebrecht has been steadily working in her native Germany ever since.

Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 10/08/2011 :  10:29:21  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Totally agreed.

One of the things I found I loved about this film was that the dialog is sparse and yet so much happens that it never feels slow. We can even ignore how unlikely that magical thermos is, and believe that all of this could have really happened.

If you haven't seen it yet, please take a look - probably one of the most overlooked films of the 20th Century.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 15/08/2011 :  12:44:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this at the cinema 22 years ago. It's one of the 99% that I won't re-watch. I recall it being a 7/10. Sorry I can't be more helpful.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  14:20:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Will find time to watch this soon. I have more time now to do this. Sorry I missed the previous others. I know it was my idea and I like to thank demonic for running with it. After Randall's Citizen Kane does it then go back to me??
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000