New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  16:40:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And so to the tenth installment of the 'Four Word Film Review' Movie Viewing Club...

From an idea originally suggested by TitanPa, we choose, view and discuss a new film twice a month - with each new round beginning on the 1st and the 15th.

Everyone is welcome to contribute if you have seen the film in question, and all the better if you have recently seen or rewatched the film. With all films chosen up to a month in advance it will allow those interested in contributing to source and view the film in question, either bought, rented or borrowed on DVD; through a subscription service or simply viewed online. You are also welcome to comment on any previous rounds at any time.

Each film is chosen by fwiffers in the order of initial interest shown on the discussion thread here. If you want to select a future title simply express interest on the thread linked above or send demonic or Se�n a message and we'll add it to the list.

The current line up is as follows:

01.04.11 - TitanPa - TEETH (2007)
15.04.11 - GHCool - DOUBLE INDEMNITY (1944)
01.05.11 - demonic - THE PASSION OF JOAN OF ARC (1928)
15.05.11 - Se�n - MONSTURD (2003)
01.06.11 - benj clews - AMERICAN SPLENDOR (2003)
15.06.11 - bife - TURKISH DELIGHT (1973)
01.07.11 - Cheese Ed - ALPHAVILLE (1965)
15.07.11 - [matt] - A VERY LONG ENGAGEMENT (2004)
01.08.11 - ChocolateLady - BAGDAD CAFE (1987)
15.08.11 - BaftaBabe - WHAT'S EATING GILBERT GRAPE (1993)
01.09.11 - Randall - CITIZEN KANE (1941)
15.09.11 - Chris C - ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT (1930)

There's no commitment to watching and commenting on every round, but all reviews, comments and contributions will be very welcome from all comers. It goes without saying these threads will be a spoiler-heavy area, and anyone reading posts before viewing the film in question should be fully aware of this.

------------------------------------------

The film under discussion for MVC #10 is Lasse Hallstr�m's "What's Eating Gilbert Grape" as selected by BaftaBabe. Starring Johnny Depp and Juliette Lewis, and featuring an Oscar-nominated turn by a young Leonardo DiCaprio.

Edited by - demonic on 17/08/2011 02:52:13

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  18:14:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

BURGER BARN!

Good flick.

Side note - I've been to the little town in TX where some of the movie was shot. That little grocery store where Gilbert works is still there, it's just more like a convenience store. I refrained from climbing the water tower.
Go to Top of Page

Improper Username 
"inappropriately amused"

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  20:29:27  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Excellent film. Depp, Lewis, DiCaprio were all at their finest.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 16/08/2011 :  23:19:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mmmmmmm.... Darlene Cates...

Saw this at the time, excellent movie.

8/10
Go to Top of Page

ChocolateLady 
"500 Chocolate Delights"

Israel

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  08:08:29  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
While the promise that Depp showed in this movie didn't disappoint in his subsequent films, I can't say the same for Di Caprio. Yes, he was good in Basketball Diaries (I didn't see him in Romeo and Juliet), but starting with Titanic, he began his scowling phase and for the most part, he hasn't grown out of it since (well, in Catch me if you Can, he was less scowling than in others). Shame, that, because what he did here was marvelous.
Go to Top of Page

TitanPa 
"Here four more"

United States

Posted - 17/08/2011 :  18:04:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Saw this movie long ago. One of the best movies from that time I gave it a 8/10. I think this is the movie that made me take notice of Juliette Lewis. Great cast. They should do another movie together. Dicaprio went from doing fun movie to over the top serious. I dont know which I like better.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 22/08/2011 :  07:18:32  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I just finished watching it on DVD. This was the first time I ever saw it. I went in completely cold. I was expecting a comedy along the lines of Lasse Halstrom's subsequent film set in the American South, Something to Talk About. Boy, was I wrong.

I agree with everyone here that this was a good film, but I think it had the potential to be superb and missed the mark slightly. The movie asks the question, "How does a man maintain his moral dignity under the pressure of a society without regard for such things." This is the heart of the movie, and the movie answers it sufficiently, but with flares of Hollywood schmaltz (like burning down the house, etc) that feel like they come from a less mature film than the one this strives to be.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 28/08/2011 :  20:08:45  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
When director Lasse Hallstr�m came to H'wood's notice (after years of work in his native Sweden) it was with his multi-nominated My Life As A Dog. Although he worked extensively on the screenplay, adapted from a novel, somehow he became categorized as a director immersed in the troubled yet seductively charming characters created by someone else.

Clearly H'wood had to have him!

So when Grape came along as a possible vehicle, the powers that be gave novelist Peter Hedges the screenplay job and facilitated Hallstr�m's directorial demands.

IMHO he tried to serve two masters. It's very seductive to be wanted by Hollywood, even when you are forced to realize they only want you if you're willing to do what they want. There were rumors at the time that he was on the brink of a nervous breakdown. Who knows?

What is crystal clear is that he produced as fine a feature as he could with as little compromise to movie biz expectations. The film just cannot be forgotten or dismissed. It really is like nothing else.

In addition to the uniformaly superb acting by all, in roles that are both complex, even baffling, and surprising, are Hallstr�m's signature combo of humor alongside a bittersweet, truly engaging presentation of emotion. He's a master of reflecting back the inner lives of people and making the extraordinary appear perfectly ordinary.

Which, of course, it is.

What a shame Cates's career dwindled to nothing. As the mighty matriarch commanding total devotion from her kids, she's unsurpassed. As to the brothers -- well, I don't care however cheesy Depp's roles are, he can do no wrong.

I really admire Di Caprio, and I'd never accuse him of a bad performance. But I do think he's frequently miscast. It's not his fault - it's the fault of those baby-faced genes. It's the Michael J Fox syndrome, except Di Caprio is even more talented. I simply cannot look at that cutie face and believe he is a cop, a crook, an aviator girl magnet, or any kind of leading man. Probably my fault, but I just want to cuddle him not fuck him.

As for Depp -- oh, Johnny if only ...

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000