Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  12:39:54  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BaftaBabe

Hi again - I'd love you to re-consider cpHosting.com which I've been using for myself and various web clients for many years. I know when you last checked, they were too pricey for your needs. But - and I get NO benefits from touting them! - speed and server/space issues are really well catered for. I pay slightly extra for a bespoke mail server, and can get root access for my domains. Plus their team is super well informed and available 24/7. They've recently acquired a chat online facility, which has saved my ass a couple of times already. They're based in Mumbai, but have distributive servers in New Jersey and, I think, Texas, too.

I suspect many of us would be willing to make up the difference in price from what you currently spend, just to guarantee a smooth-running, fast and efficient site behaviour. Wotcha reckon?

Love
BB xx

Hmm... their website seems to offer scant information but from what I can tell it looks like they natively only support PHP and MySQL, which makes me suspect they're running Linux servers. And unfortunately FWFR is all Windows-based technology (ASP.NET, MSSQL) right now.

I have to admit it also sends up a few red flags in my mind when I read something is based in India as I don't have good experience (professionally and personally) with overseas services based in such places
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  17:49:26  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

Hmm... their website seems to offer scant information but from what I can tell it looks like they natively only support PHP and MySQL, which makes me suspect they're running Linux servers. And unfortunately FWFR is all Windows-based technology (ASP.NET, MSSQL) right now.

I have to admit it also sends up a few red flags in my mind when I read something is based in India as I don't have good experience (professionally and personally) with overseas services based in such places

Gosh, sorry to hear you've had bad experiences with Indian companies. These guys have always been super-good for me, but we have such different requirements, I admit! If you like I could ask if they do supply the stuff you need if you send me a list. Or not

Thanks again, benj, for being on the case.
PS Am guessing server demand is surely the answer to our speed issues, as for about an hour today fwfr was pretty wizzy!

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 03/02/2014 17:50:26
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/02/2014 :  17:57:49  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Gosh, sorry to hear you've had bad experiences with Indian companies. These guys have always been super-good for me, but we have such different requirements, I admit! If you like I could ask if they do supply the stuff you need if you send me a list. Or not

For now, I think I'll see how my first plan of action plays out (both in terms of performance and cost). If that goes to pan I'll start looking into other options, including chasing you up about the above

quote:

PS Am guessing server demand is surely the answer to our speed issues, as for about an hour today fwfr was pretty wizzy!

Yeah, I used to think it was the dwindling disk space (of which I've managed to free a bit up today) but I'm starting to think it's something beyond my control given the seeming randomness of it all. Glad to hear it was responsive today- that shows the site *can* run fast given the right circumstances at least
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 11/02/2014 :  18:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:
Originally posted by Sludge

quote:

For a while now I've been concerned about the speed of the site. Believe it or not, it's blazingly fast running off my development machine, but I put it live and it's remarkably slow. Except occasionally when it runs fine.

I suspect that, since we're running off a shared server and the speed of the site varies quite a bit at seemingly random times, there's another site on this server that gets power hungry from time to time.

It's coming up to renewal time for the fwfr hosting and I'm looking into other hosting options now. Obviously, there'll be some downtime if I have to go elsewhere but that's a small price to pay if I can get the speed consistent and approaching what I know it should be.

Benj, my host is in Denver CO and I have plenty of space if you want to mirror or give it a test run there.

Cheers, although it'd obviously depend on what kind of servers they're running there and the software on it. Also, one of the options I'm currently looking at is free for the first month and with no set-up or cancellation fee so it costs me nothing to give that a shot. Certainly, I'll let you know if things don't pan out there and I need another place to test though

In line with your other responses, this is a cpanel host with Linux and SQL. Possibly we could drop Bitnami on there which builds a stack. Not sure if there's a free linux based option.

I saw a workaround for ASP, but it might be dodgy.

I kind of have a favor to call in with another host who may have a windows environment.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 21/03/2014 :  11:33:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, give this a shot...

http://www.4wbr.com

This is just a test run so I can't guarantee everything is working peachy and the data will be from a while ago but it's enough to give you an idea. I've had a play around it seems to be quite a bit quicker to me- let me know if it's looking better (or not) for anyone else.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 22/03/2014 :  21:49:20  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

This is just a test run so I can't guarantee everything is working peachy and the data will be from a while ago but it's enough to give you an idea. I've had a play around it seems to be quite a bit quicker to me- let me know if it's looking better (or not) for anyone else.

Checked it out briefly yesterday and it was fast. The regular site was fairly fast as well but earlier in the week it was pretty slow at times.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 23/03/2014 :  10:14:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

quote:

Checked it out briefly yesterday and it was fast. The regular site was fairly fast as well but earlier in the week it was pretty slow at times.

Almost ditto - except during the times I checked it out, I wouldn't describe it as fast. Sort of average. This site, as lemmy sez, remains inconsistent.

STOP PRESS!
And, just now, noob site - super fast!!

Did we have these probs with parchment & quill? Not so much!!!

Edited by - BaftaBaby on 23/03/2014 10:21:19
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 24/03/2014 :  23:54:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just trying to get this straight then... are we saying the new site has been consistently fast and the old site was sometimes fast and sometimes not, or that the new site was sometimes fast and sometimes not?
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 

Posted - 25/03/2014 :  00:57:00  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Just trying to get this straight then... are we saying the new site has been consistently fast and the old site was sometimes fast and sometimes not, or that the new site was sometimes fast and sometimes not?

Speaking for myself personally in person:
1. this site [old-ish] - VERY inconsistent, with accompanying problems, such as suddenly STOPPING and then you have to close your browser and if you happened to be in the middle of something - like posting a message, well it just gets lost!!! Grrr!!!!

2. Noob site - goes from average to super-fast, but I haven't used it nearly for long enough to generalize.

Dunno about anyone else.

Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 25/03/2014 :  03:09:44  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

quote:

Speaking for myself personally in person:
1. this site [old-ish] - VERY inconsistent, with accompanying problems, such as suddenly STOPPING and then you have to close your browser and if you happened to be in the middle of something - like posting a message, well it just gets lost!!! Grrr!!!!

2. Noob site - goes from average to super-fast, but I haven't used it nearly for long enough to generalize.

Dunno about anyone else.

What she said.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 25/03/2014 :  15:55:55  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At the moment the regular site is very slow. The new option seems OK.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 25/03/2014 :  17:06:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, I think I'm going to try switching us over this coming Sunday and we can see if that improves things any (translation: there will be downtime). If not, I have a few more options which I won't bore you with the technical details of just yet
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  15:40:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Alright... I've switched over the site to a new server. Let me know if you find anything not working right and if it seems any better.
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 30/03/2014 :  22:22:57  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:

Alright... I've switched over the site to a new server. Let me know if you find anything not working right and if it seems any better.

Not sure about speed yet, but the search feature ain't working. E.g., tried a couple of key words in the search box, it pops up the drop down box with some suggestions, but when I hit enter I end up with a 'blank' fwfr page, no results returned under 'Matching Films'. E.g,. just to test it I tried "titanic" but the list is blank.

I was looking for this
http://www.fwfr.com/film/?FID=20466#.UziKCFeLXuE
at the moment the only way to find it is to use the 'add film' feature with the IMDb link.

Secondly, I just scored that movie (The Bridge). It had a score of 0, I scored it 5 but the movie score doesn't update (like it normally does). It's still sitting on 0 even after a few refreshes. I scored it half an hour ago. BTW the stars have gone silver showing that I've scored it. I also tried changing score a few times, it changes the number of silver stars but the movie score remains 0.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  09:53:35  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
As mentioned elsewhere, the search is now working again.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000