The European Union

Posted - 04/05/2010 :  19:58:31  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Done.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  01:55:25  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Right, there is a new issue to contend with.

I've lately noticed a lot of I.M.D.B. pages with English titles newly primary and Such-and-such (original title) in grey below. I thought they were just tidying up in some way, or had dropped their policy of the first-aired title being primary.

However, Romanzo criminale was released under that title in the U.K., absolutely definitely. (In contrast, Hidden was released as Hidden (Cach�).)

So the upshot is that we should be more cautious of the primary title than previously.
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  11:54:14  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This might be a bit of a bastard. When Benj updates the whole FWFR database in line with IMDB when the new website comes in it seems that a number of titles are going to change to English variations judging from your example, even if they are not known by that title here. For example I'm looking at the films of Antonioni on IMDB now and there's some confusion - L'Avventura is still that and not The Adventure, but La Notta and L'Eclisse are now listed as The Night and The Eclipse, something they are not officially known as in the UK as far as I'm aware.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  12:46:33  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by demonic

This might be a bit of a bastard. When Benj updates the whole FWFR database in line with IMDB when the new website comes in it seems that a number of titles are going to change to English variations judging from your example, even if they are not known by that title here. For example I'm looking at the films of Antonioni on IMDB now and there's some confusion - L'Avventura is still that and not The Adventure, but La Notta and L'Eclisse are now listed as The Night and The Eclipse, something they are not officially known as in the UK as far as I'm aware.

I'm not sure how complicated it would be within benj's inter-relational coding, but there might be a way to incorporate at least two alternatives to such titles, namely the film's original language title and the UK release title - possibly with the US release as well.

So if, in your example above, whether you searched for La Notta or The Night, you would get the right film.

I'm assuming that even if the imdb altered its priority, they'd still list the alternate titles the way they do now.

Wotcha reckon, benj?

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 29/06/2010 :  13:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I would like multiple-title searching here too. Ideally it would be the original title and also any official English-language title (but with the U.K. one still primary). However, I suspect that this would be very difficult to achieve without also having to include a lot of unofficial titles. I know from experience that the variant I.M.D.B. titles are not listed too consistently, and for example a 'U.K.' title there might just be a literal translation (such as is the case with the film above). So titles to be used here would have to be based on 'includes UK but not literal' &c., and on top of that deal with all the cases not listed accurately.
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 28/07/2010 :  16:05:04  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm curious about Untouchables: Capone Rising, but it won't be out in 2010. IMDB now says 2012.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 15/11/2010 :  09:19:24  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

Romanzo criminale was released under that title in the U.K., absolutely definitely.

Since I pointed this out, someone changed this to the English translation of the title. (I haven't checked whether the film was released under that title anywhere, but it's irrelevant as we follow British cinema-release titles whenever available, apart from in exceptional circumstances.)

I have noticed a lot of wrong changes lately, for example the British title becoming the American title, or the worldwide cinema-release title becoming the British D.V.D. title. Benj, is someone new now able to edit titles, or has there been a change of policy that you haven't mentioned?
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  16:32:51  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cracovian

I have noticed a lot of wrong changes lately, for example the British title becoming the American title, or the worldwide cinema-release title becoming the British D.V.D. title. Benj, is someone new now able to edit titles, or has there been a change of policy that you haven't mentioned?

Benj?

It's getting really bad now. So many stupid changes that I have to correct back, and that's only for the films that I come across. I dread to think how many others have been made wrong.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 03/12/2010 :  20:18:47  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm sorry- I've been out of the loop a bit on this.

I need to check who's changing what to what.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 20/12/2010 :  22:23:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This film is far, far, far, far, far better known as CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS. [Note the Criterion packaging at IMDb.]

Edited by - randall on 20/12/2010 22:24:45
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  00:10:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, but it's only far far far far far better known as that in the States, not anywhere else. Over here it's definitely Observed- says so on my DVD cover. Incidentally that change would also affect Larry's highest voted review...
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  00:49:43  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I stand by my title as correct in English. [I've lost TONS of reviews and votes with this new whisking broom...]
Go to Top of Page

demonic 
"Cinemaniac"

United Kingdom

Posted - 21/12/2010 :  02:43:10  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It does suck when the only way you've ever known a film isn't properly listed here or elsewhere- there are countless examples all over the site, but Benj was clear about his preference for keeping the site consistent - with the UK version of the title. This one is currently right, even though it will irk you and probably many an American with good taste in foreign film. If it did change to your variation and it would certainly irk many a Brit.
Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 24/12/2010 :  00:39:56  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

I'm sorry- I've been out of the loop a bit on this.

I need to check who's changing what to what.

The main crux of the problem seems to be films being changed to the I.M.D.B.'s primary title and/or the American title (in Poland the former is the Polish title, but I don't know whether it differentiates by language or country).
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000