benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 19/05/2006 :  21:55:46  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by lemmycaution

Point of No Return:

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=10411

The credits and the IMDb link are to an obscure Australian thriller, not the Hollywood remake of Nikita.

I think you're thinking of...

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=3189

We call it The Assassin in the UK

I'm guessing those three reviews against Point Of No Return also aren't aware of this fact...
Go to Top of Page

AC 
"Returning FWFR Old-Timer"

Canada

Posted - 19/05/2006 :  22:02:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Okay, that is WEIRD. I never review anything without clicking through the imdb link, and this is made weirder by the fact that the film has a couple of friends of mine in it, so it should have been auto-added to my friend accolade. I just can't see myself getting that wrong since I know the Nikita-remake as 'The Assassin' too. Has there been an imdb auto-update here or something? I am so confused.
Go to Top of Page

lemmycaution 
"Long mired in film"

Canada

Posted - 20/05/2006 :  00:28:23  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The accolade here should include The Assasin" , not Point of No Return.

http://www.fwfr.com/search.asp?do=&search=&Mode=Search&genreid=&aid=&StYear=&EnYear=&AccID=1779&Sort=1&dir=&Rows=20
Go to Top of Page

Sean 
"Necrosphenisciform anthropophagist."

New Zealand

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  03:14:22  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Hayao Miyazaki's movies are known at fwfr by their global English title, not the Japanese name, except for one...

Porco Rosso which is on fwfr by it's Japanese name Kurenai No Buta. The movie is globally known as Porco Rosso (I've got a copy in my hands now and that's what it's called here) so perhaps for consistency this should be changed to Porco Rosso.

BTW, perhaps this accolade (at the top of this post) could be set to auto-update for Miyazaki? I see dlanod has been inactive for 6 months. Howl's Moving Castle should perhaps be on the list.

Edited by - Sean on 27/05/2006 03:17:30
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 27/05/2006 :  09:30:39  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Se�n

Hayao Miyazaki's movies are known at fwfr by their global English title, not the Japanese name, except for one...

Porco Rosso which is on fwfr by it's Japanese name Kurenai No Buta. The movie is globally known as Porco Rosso (I've got a copy in my hands now and that's what it's called here) so perhaps for consistency this should be changed to Porco Rosso.

BTW, perhaps this accolade (at the top of this post) could be set to auto-update for Miyazaki? I see dlanod has been inactive for 6 months. Howl's Moving Castle should perhaps be on the list.

Name changed and accolade now auto-updating.
Go to Top of Page

randall 
"I like to watch."

NYC, USA

Posted - 28/05/2006 :  22:25:38  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I ran into this same problem trying to complete a Salopian accolade...he was evidently trying to point to the NIKITA remake, but found this one instead. Sally edited his accolade list and all became well again.
Go to Top of Page

GHcool 
"Forever a curious character."

Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  06:49:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The Sean Penn version of All the King's Men is listed on IMDb as being released in 2006. FWFR currently has it listed as being released in 2005.
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  08:56:17  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

The Sean Penn version of All the King's Men is listed on IMDb as being released in 2006. FWFR currently has it listed as being released in 2005.

Fixed.
Go to Top of Page

BaftaBaby 
"Always entranced by cinema."

Posted - 09/06/2006 :  09:11:42  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by benj clews

quote:
Originally posted by GHcool

Fixed.

Release dates are notoriously a problem, even within the industry. That's because various reference works will take the absolute first commercial release wherever in the world, while others go by first US, UK [whereever] release. I really became aware of the release minefield when the Sunday Times Mag did a 1000 Makers of the Cinema pull-out and I was the Chief Researcher which meant checking all 1000 films for every single detail, including release date. [Benj, I need a smiley for nostalgic, name-dropping cunt] In the end we decided on the date which the studio identified. But wonderful as imdb is, they don't always get it right, either.

Go to Top of Page

Cheese_Ed 
"The Provolone Ranger"

Guernsey

Posted - 30/06/2006 :  12:56:15  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=13953

has been re-titled to just 'Zoom'
Go to Top of Page

benj clews 
"...."

United Kingdom

Posted - 30/06/2006 :  22:39:12  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Cheese_Ed

http://www.fwfr.com/display.asp?ID=13953

has been re-titled to just 'Zoom'

Fixed.
Go to Top of Page

MguyX 
"X marks the spot"

United States

Posted - 03/07/2006 :  22:45:53  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
This may take some time to sort out, but The Green Hornet appears not only NOT to have been made, but possibly scrapped (at least none of the people listed on the fwfr credits appears to be associated with what appears to be an even less-possible project.
Go to Top of Page

Sludge 
"Charlie Don't Serf!"

United States

Posted - 11/08/2006 :  03:12:08  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Benj, I have no idea which thread to post this in, but Jurassic Park IV (2006) should be Jurassic Park IV (2008) according to IMDB.

Go to Top of Page

SixFourian 
"Four ever European"

The European Union

Posted - 11/09/2006 :  13:57:41  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What is the rule for translating titles?

The film listed on this site as To Be And To Have is widely known as Etre et Avoir, including on the I.M.D.B. (although I don't know how it was released here). However, the film on this site as Le Temps Qui Reste was released in this country as Time to Leave, which was how I submitted it.

It seems to me that the rule ought to be to follow the British release titles (ideally) or else to follow the I.M.D.B.

Edited by - SixFourian on 11/09/2006 13:58:44
Go to Top of Page

Downtown 
"Welcome back, Billy Buck"

The Hub of the Universe

Posted - 15/09/2006 :  16:37:06  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The sequel to "Batman Begins" has a name now.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 23 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Send Topic to a Friend
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
The Four Word Film Review Fourum © 1999-2024 benj clews Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000